Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Flutterin' By


I'm guessing you won't be able to figure out where I was today . . . 


Not even with these wonderful clues . . .


I finally made it out to Cox Arboretum's Butterfly House!!  It was a nice day (a bit on the hot side, but nothing like last week) and I figured it would be the last chance to check it out before Mom got back from her trip (picked her up at 5:30 this evening).


SO glad I went.  I did see a lot of Monarch Butterflies, and some of the smaller moths, but there was at least one beautiful surprise AND several caterpillars!


Loved the flowers, even though I didn't really pay attention to most of the names of them . . .



One of the caterpillars!




I really wish this had been completely in focus, but I still love it!


I spotted this Black Swallowtail clinging to the screen relatively high up (almost got a crick in the neck watching him).


Fortunately, he decided to move to the vegetation closer to eye level for me!  (Is it just me, or does this seem to be an almost Batman pose?)


Beautiful, beautiful colors!



I loved how close I was able to zoom in on this shot.  LOVE the vein-like quality of the wings.  I can almost feel the texture of the wings just looking at the picture.


This little guy was hidden away, but the workers were kind enough to point him out to everyone.  He was right by the exit door, so he was the image that remained in my head, mostly because of the green/blue combination, and how he was hanging upside down.

I do want to go back in about a week and see if there are different butterflies, more butterflies, etc. The Butterfly House is only through August 26th, so I'd really like to make it back every week to see the changes.  We'll see how well I manage that.


No comments:

Post a Comment