Friday, July 20, 2012

Sunflower Study

It's been a beautiful day in southwestern Ohio!  Dreary as all get out, but not insanely hot, no major storms, and not all that humid.  I'll take it especially since I got to turn the AC off and open the windows.  Nice fresh air.  Ahhhhh.


I have to admit that I was more than a little surprised to go out back today and see how nicely my volunteer sunflower was doing.  I thought for sure the birds and the squirrels would have decimated it by now (as they have in the past for any that got close to flowering).  I am very pleased and thankful they have decided to leave it alone.


Considering the weather and lack of sun, this rather tall but unplanned beauty made the back yard much cheerier.


I quickly found myself captivated by the symmetry and geometricity (I'm pretty sure that's a made up word, but ya know what I mean by it!) of the flower, not to mention the contrasting and complementing colors.


As I moved slightly to study the change in light and perspective, at times I felt as if I were looking at an optical illusion.


A quarter of an inch move brought different sections of the plant into the focal point.


Each section is utterly awesome and amazing on its own; different from the other parts, but so necessary for the bloom to exist.


The more I looked and the closer I zoomed, the more I felt as I was being drawn into a vortex of amazement.


So many views.  So many different focal points.  But all combine for a beautiful flower.

I think I'm going to go back and slowly go through them again.  And try not to smile.  What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment