Thursday, July 5, 2012

Spangly Stars

I don't remember the first time I saw the movie "Yankee Doodle Dandy," a biography of Broadway's George M. Cohan, but I do remember being surprised that Jimmy Cagney could sing and dance and that Mr. Cohan wrote some very memorable patriotic songs.  Since watching the movie for the first time, I always think of the movie and try to watch it on or around July 4th.

I haven't seen the movie yet this year, but bits and pieces of different songs were going through my head as I watched the fireworks display tonight, and including those by Irving Berlin and Francis Scott Key.


"Over there, over there, Send the word, send the word over there - That the Yanks are coming, The Yanks are coming, The drums rum-tumming, Everywhere."


"So prepare, say a prayer, Send the word, send the word to beware, We'll be over, we're coming over, and we won't come back till it's over Over there."


"I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy, A Yankee Doodle do or die, A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam, Born on the 4th of July."


"I've got a Yankee Doodle sweetheart, She's my Yankee Doodle joy."


"Yankee Doodle came to London, Just to ride the ponies.  I am a Yankee Doodle boy."


"You're a grand old flag, You're a high flying flag,"


"And forever in peace may you wave."


"You're the emblem of The land I love The home of the free and the brave."


"Every heart beats true 'Neath the Red, White, and Blue, Where there's never a boast or brag."


"But should auld acquaintance be forgot, Keep your eye on the grand old flag."


"God bless America, Land that I love.  Stand beside her, and guide her Thru the night with a light from above."


"From the mountains, to the prairies, To the Oceans white with foam God bless America, my home sweet home."


"And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there."


"Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam, In full glory reflected now shines in the stream . . . "


"'Tis the star-spangled banner!  Oh long may it wave Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave."




Oh!  Thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto:  "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!



No comments:

Post a Comment