Monday, September 24, 2012

Alpaca Photo Shoot!

Y'all know by now that I really enjoy new photographic experiences.  I love pitting myself against the challenge of not knowing much about the subject(s) and trying to get good pictures in new circumstances.  Sounds like a recipe for disaster, but actually, the more pictures I take, the easier the new opportunities are . . . I'm like a kid in a candy shop when I get those opportunities.

I have friends who have started an Alpaca farm, Purdy Lil' Suri Alpaca Farm, LLC here in our little 38k populated city in SW Ohio.  I posted pics from when they had the barn raising (one of my favoritest [and I use that improper word intentionally; it's a photo that speaks directly to my heart, probably one of a handful of photos that I am THAT happy with the outcome] shots came from that day.  I talked about it on one of my first blog posts, Are You Handy?  Well, these friends asked me to do some dog/alpaca/house sitting for them while they went to an out of town wedding.  I would have done it just to spend time with Ginger, their dog.  BUT, to have the opportunity to watch their 4 female alpacas and get pictures of them pushed it into a new adventure!


These are some funky feet!  My sister and niece have feet phobias, so I'm sure they'd run at the sight of this!


Almost every time I went outside, the girls came to the fence.  Unfortunately, only Mary (the youngest) is sociable enough to allow you to pet her.  It was odd because every time we went outside, Ginger went to the fence and Mary would come over so they could touch noses.  They must be BFFs or something!


This is Miss Mary, with her windblown hair.


This is Miss Mary, hoping to be fed or at least get a treat.  Their fur is incredibly soft, but what really amazes me is their mouths.  They have the softest lips ever.  How do I know this?  I got to hand feed them some treats.


I'm not sure if this is Miss Pearl or Miss Autumn, but she was definitely posing for me.  I love her profile . . .

And here she is again, showing off her beautiful eyelashes!


 They do tend to stick fairly close together . . . never put too much distance between them.


Here we are again w/ Miss Mary (closes to the camera) and I believe Miss Pearl.  See how the wind is ruffling their fur?  I also loved the shadows.



Trying to graze, but they've pretty much grazed their pasture as much as possible already.


Their "I'm adorable, please feed me" look . . . the only time they get in the barn is while they're being fed.


This is one of my favorites of the girls all together, lounging around the hay trough.


I loved the hook for the water bucket giving one of the girls a "black eye."  It made me laugh when I saw it full size.  Turned out better than I expected it would.


Miss Mary, hillbilly alpaca!


I'm beginning to think Miss Mary is a comedienne at heart - is she trying to imitate a walrus with that hay??



There's Ginger, the wonder dog.  She's really good with the alpacas.  Most of the time she pretty much ignores them.


Family portrait!


I had a feeling Ginger was reaching her patience limit, so this was when we left the pasture . . . .


Look at that face!  Isn't she adorable?


Walrus/Hillbilly Mary hoping for some treats . . .


And to be out at the Alpaca farm and look up to see the beautiful clouds, sky, and trees . . . I was so glad to be able to help out my friends who were also helping me out as well.

For those of you wondering, alpacas do spit, but not typically at humans . . . I didn't see any spitting all weekend long, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment