Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Heartbroken But Hopeful

I was able to go out to a local 9/11 Memorial today; it was dedicated last year on 9/11 and I've driven by it several times.  I made the effort to go out today, and am so glad I did.  I did not however, expect the overwhelming emotion that had me in tears.  The memorial is mostly a piece of steel from the remains of the WTC and a listing of names of those who died that day.  Very simple and yet extremely eloquent.  I'll let my pictures speak to you.





























2 comments:

  1. Thank you Joy for posting these pictures. I live in Beavercreek and have driven by this memorial many times, but never stopped to really see it. Seeing your photos I can see the emotion that is there, and I am sure while I am there I will shed tears as well. You are wonderful for bringing this to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had NO idea I would be so emotional. It was odd, being right next to Fairfield and 35 that the sound of the cars going by wasn't intrusive, and I quickly tuned that out. There weren't a lot of people around - we all seemed to be giving each other space to pay respects - just a few at a time coming and going, not lined up or anything. I lost it when I looked at the ground around the base of the steel beam. All of those American flags and real flowers (not the fake ones) for some reason just made me sob. The white roses really sent me over the edge - white roses symbolize purity, innocence, reverence, and humility. Then to look up and see the twin vapor trails from the airplane, it was all I could do to try to focus on getting the shot; I was there for about 10 minutes, and was crying for probably 9 of them. It felt like I was standing on holy ground; I can't imagine what it would feel like at Ground Zero or Shanksville.

      Delete