Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Hang on Sloopy

This is going to be a week where I'm almost dancing in excitement and anticipation over opportunities to take pictures that I never imagined would be possible.

Labor Day was the first opportunity, and I was afraid it would be rained out.  Fortunately, no lightning, so we were a go, and I had my big umbrella.



Most of my family belong to that fanatical (and quite often arrogant and irritating) group of people known as Buckeye Fans.  Yes, they bleed Scarlet and Gray for The Ohio State University (emphasis on "The"; there is one and no other).  When I went to college, I lived in Ann Arbor, and I cheered for the Buckeyes.  I also had an opportunity later to go to Earl Bruce's final game in Ann Arbor.  I wore my scarlet and gray in the middle of the UM student section - it's not a problem there.

That was the beginning of my admiration for UM and frustration with OSU fans.  Living in Ohio again, it is actually a lot of fun to poke and prod the OSU fans and get them all riled up.  It doesn't take much effort, and then they spend the rest of the day fussin' and fumin'.  So I've been enjoying "rooting" for UM around them, and raising their blood pressure, not mine.


One thing I've appreciated since an early age is a good marching band.  Our high school had an amazing band, different from other local schools and not about to follow the crowd.  When it comes to a halftime show, I hope both bands performing are awesome.  Reading in the paper that The OSU Marching Band would be performing in our little burg (38,000 people) after a ribbon cutting, I knew this would probably be one of the few chances I'd ever have to be close enough to get decent pics of a marching band (of any kind).  Had to show up and see what I could do with the rain, wind, and an initial attempt at these kind of pics.  They only brought a 45 member contingent, but we couldn't have fit the whole band anyway!


No, I do not have a foot fetish.  Yes, I was impressed with how in sync they were, even with their feet.  I don't see footwork that precise on Dancing With The Stars!


This is one of the "signature" moves during a performance by The OSU Marching Band.  The red feather did touch the concrete, I just snapped the shutter a little too early.


I really hate the background, but I got a much better view of the drum major from this side.






It is a huge honor to be one of the senior sousaphone players chosen to dot the "i" during Script Ohio.  A different player is chosen for each game.  It is an honor held in highest esteem, and not easy to earn.  Our community was proud to learn several weeks ago that one of our alumni had been chosen to dot the "i."


I learned today that our alum, Mitch Finley, gets to experience this honor next Saturday; I believe this was his Mom modeling the Tshirt.


We got a preview of Mitch's performance - so nice to see close up, even if we didn't get to see the whole Script Ohio.



Thank YOU, Mitch!  We're proud of you and your accomplishments.


This is my favorite picture of the day.  An odd reflected view of the audience from one of the sousaphones.

If you're wondering what Hang On Sloopy has to do with The OSU Marching Band, it's their official rock song.  I may still love to irritate and make fun of the Buckeye fans, but I will always have a soft spot for the band that always plays Hang On Sloopy and does a great job with Script Ohio.  They never fail to exceed expectations, and that bar is set pretty darn high.  Michigan fans can admit that without taking anything away from their own team and marching band (poke, prod, irritate!).


No comments:

Post a Comment