Sunday, September 16, 2012

Busy, Super Busy, Crash

Hey everyone!  Sorry I've been posting so sporadically lately, but I thought I was busy, then got super busy, then last night and today, I crashed!

I'm not quite finished with all I have going on, but the busiest part is at least over with.  It was a lot of fun, but unfortunately, not as successful as I would have liked.

I shared with you the fun I had with Stress Cop and one of our K9s as part of the build up for National Tell a Police Officer "Thank You!" Day.  That official day was yesterday, September 15th.  Thought I'd share a little of what was done for the officers.


Fox Sports was at one of our Football games, so of course I had to include the Fox Sports Girls.  You know, since most guys are such sports fans.


Two of our ticket sellers in a slower moment during that televised Thursday (!) night game.  The one on the right is Marcy, the illustrious leader of the misfit band of ticket sellers, who has won the vast majority of the "Where in Huber Heights is Stress Cop?" rounds . . . she still hasn't come up with an answer for 2 of them though, and according to the rules I make up on the fly, she can't receive her prize until all rounds are completed . . .






The Wayne High School Alumni Marching Band!  They were kind enough to make the poster and pose for the picture on very short notice.  They were one of the groups who sent me pictures for the event.  The others I won't be posting were of Girl Scout Troops and Wayne High School JV and Varsity Women's Soccer, Men's Soccer, Women's Volleyball, and Football Cheerleaders; they're all minors, so I need to do my part to keep them safe since I didn't have parental permission to post the pics.


One of the most rewarding experiences was the evening I got to spend with the Girl Scouts.  A friend had put me in touch w/ one of the local neighborhood leaders who thought the girls making cards would be a great addition to their plans to make goodies for first responders to honor their service in relation to 9/11.  I got to tell the girls a little bit about what I was doing, and why it was important to me, and then they baked and made cards (in shifts).  Seriously, I cried reading some of their cards.


The pics above are from our Police Department; the shields are on the front doors.  The display is an abbreviated history (mostly relatively current) of the HHPD (formerly Wayne Township PD).  The blue shirt was provided by the family of the first Chief, Isadore Freidman (amazing man, wonderful leader and mentor) and the black shirt is one of the current Chief, Robert Schommer.  The pic of all of the officers was taken either late 60s or early 70s (probably sometime between 1968 and 1972); that's my pops on the far right, standing.


This was what I set up in the Community Room at the Police Department around 1:30 a.m. on Saturday.  The baskets are what PetSmart put together (the ONLY business who donated anything; I will be promoting them like crazy every single chance I get!) for the K9s.  The aluminum trays have Apple Honey Breakfast bars, Black Cherry Jell-o Pinwheels, and some KitKat snack size bars.  Next delivery around 11 a.m. was Apple Toffee Blondie Bars, and the final delivery around 6 p.m. was Fresh Apple Cake (would you believe I had a few apples to be used up??) and Potato Chip Cookies.  I also took 2 cases of bottled water for them (hard to see the edge of them on the far right). The display includes all of the photos above, plus the ones of the sports teams and a group pic of the Girl Scouts, pics of the "Where in Huber Heights is Stress Cop?", a screen print of the event listed on the WDTN Calendar of Events, and other "posters" of support and encouragement.  The Scentsy Warmer is from their Heroes collection, and is a Navy Blue w/ a generic Police Officer badge on it; I had the names of all of the officers printed out, and Dispatch drew the winner of the warmer and a bar of wax this morning - Officer Bradley Reaman.

I'm starting to think about next year's recognition already!  I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing, and am glad to have been able to see some of the ways other communities were saying "Thank You!"  It's a start, so it's only going to get bigger and better from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment