Monday, October 15, 2012

Fall in SW Ohio

The temps have started dropping a little, the calendar does indeed say October 15th, AND the leaves have been changing colors for a little while here in SW Ohio.  I stopped on my way home from playing school taxi for my niece and then visiting Mom to try to capture some of the views of the beautiful colors.

This was another new adventure for me - in all of the years I've had a camera, I've never intentionally tried to capture the beauty of fall foliage, especially the variety of colors.  Last year I was more involved in leaf removal than thinking about pictures of leaves; the maples have yet to start letting loose of them in the front yard this year.  The fun I have to look forward to!

At least the pics I took today were not at home and I don't have to deal with these leaves falling and needing to be corralled into piles in the street!  I'm pretty happy with the shots I got, but will be trying at a few other spots to see how they compare . . .





The picture above is kind of freaky . . . as I scroll up or down the picture, it's as if I'm walking up or down the road!







Remember that train I took a pic of?  The top of this bridge is where it was running!  I waited and waited for traffic to clear both ways (which was ridiculous since it was 4:45 or so and that's about the time this road starts to get busy!) so I could get the whole bridge framing the trees.  I got down to one car in the pic, and ended up cropping it out.




I really enjoyed taking these photos today.  I'm looking forward to getting back out the next few days to see what other fall colors/shades I can find in SW Ohio!

I do have my eye on a tree up the street from my house.  In the fall, the leaves on the tree turn yellow, and there's what looks to be an ivy plant growing around the tree trunk; the leaves of the ivy and the tree form a wonderful contrast and it reminds me of an impressionist painting.  It hadn't gotten to that point yet as of Sunday, but I'm thinking it's not far off.  Definitely on my list of shots to capture!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I was looking up leaf removal when I came across this post. I am glad I did because these pictures are amazing. I just started getting into trees. I usually like creepy trees with no leaves but now that the leaves have changed I can't stop taking pictures of colorful trees. I hope to see the picture of the tree with the ivy. Thanks so much for sharing Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rylee! I hadn't taken (at least not intentionally) pictures of the trees in autumn before. I have enjoyed the challenge, and seeing the variety of shades and colors. Unfortunately, I missed the tree with the ivy; thought I had one more day. It proved me very wrong. :-(

      Delete