Sunday, October 14, 2012

Gigglin' in the Rain


It's been a dreary couple of days - a bit cooler, some rain, and mostly cloudy.  It was beginning to get me down.  Until I looked out back to see all of the daisies blooming, as well as the volunteer sunflower further unfolding.  How could I NOT be cheered up by these? 


These daisies suddenly were so top heavy that they are falling over!  I'll have to get something to help prop them up.  Do you see there are still a lot of buds that haven't opened yet?  More days of cheer to come!!


All of the daisies make me smile, but noticing how many, many, many buds there are makes me giggle in anticipation!


And the volunteer sunflower . . . love the geometric proportions and spiraling in the center, as well as the bright yellow against the dark green.  Should have done some cropping to get rid of the garden hose in the background, but that just didn't happen today!  Oops, also see my left shoe in the shot, as well as part of my purple top!


From the "aerial" shot, it looked more like the petals were flat.  As you can see, they aren't yet.  I liked this view, especially since the other volunteer sunflower was taller and I couldn't do the shot from above.  That was one of the times I really dislike being so short!


Slightly different angle, but I liked the yellow leaves from the redbud tree in the lawn in the background.


Not a greatly different angle, but I liked how this one shows off how the petals seem to almost swirl.  I get a sense of almost movement.  I also like the green of the leaves blending with the green of the grass as well as the yellow leaves in the background . . .

Now, would you believe I took all of these pics with my cell phone??  I am so happy to have decent pics from it since I have it with me almost all of the time.  It's a whole lot less cumbersome to tote around, but it does have its limitations.

The best suggestion I ever received (and I wish I could remember who told me) was that if you weren't satisfied with the pictures you were taking, to keep working on them with the camera you currently had until you were satisfied.  That was a good indication you were ready for an upgraded camera.  It's not the camera for the most part.  It's composition, lighting, shadow, and usually, timing.  Every time you take a new type of picture or try a different angle, composition, etc., it takes work to get it right.  I feel very blessed when all circumstances fall together and I get the picture I envisioned, or one better than I had anticipated.

I've been itching to get out and take pics, but I've been swamped again with "have to do" things that couldn't be put off.  After this week, I'm hoping it slows down a little and I can get back out on a regular basis.  I have a meeting regarding potential volunteer work with Goodwill Easter Seals, and I'm mailing in an application to be an Ambassador for Dogs for the Deaf.  Neither of those would be a lot of hours at any given time, but they'll give me opportunities to get out and learn new things and meet new people.



No comments:

Post a Comment