Monday, March 26, 2012

Humming along . . .

We've had such a warm spring that it seemed more like summer in March.  Unfortunately, now that the plants are blooming, we're supposed to have a very cold snap tonight.  I'll be out later to put a sheet over some of the plants I'd like to have spared.

The plants I'll be covering are lilac bushes (my all time favorite scent) and any of the butterfly bushes and other plants that attract butterflies and hummingbirds.  

Several years ago, I was at a friend's house and we were chatting in their Florida room.  I was thrilled to see a hummingbird visiting one of their feeders, several times.  I'd never seen one before and had always wanted to.  A couple of days later, I was back at their house, laying in wait w/ my camera to try to catch a picture of it.  I sat there for over an hour, waiting, and was able to finally catch this photo.


The photo was also taken through the screen, so it's not in sharp focus, but I was happy with it for a first attempt.

It wasn't until last summer that I was able to have the opportunity to photograph a hummingbird again.  I had come home from an event at Mom's Assisted Living facility where she had asked me to take pictures.  I was getting out of the car when I saw a hummingbird at the neighbor's butterfly bush.  I grabbed the camera and very slowly advanced until I was close enough for several shots.  This is my favorite from that day.


Taking that picture got me hooked on hummingbirds!  I started putting out feeders for them and scoured the internet for information on how to attract them to the back yard.  Fortunately, one of my high school friends has a LOT of experience and shared his successes with me.  I started watching for "my" bird to show up at pretty much the same time every day, and tried to be outside when she was "due."  I talked to her and took more pictures, and almost learned not to flinch when she flew a little too close to my ear.

I am amazed by these little creatures.  They move so fast, sometimes just a blur to the eye that I wonder if I really saw one.  The favorite pose I've caught "my" hummer in is resting on the feeder or a branch of the trumpet vine.  No, she doesn't look spectacular or entertaining.  But she does appear to feel safe enough to take a little while to rest and store up some energy that she'll need later.  That she feels comfortable enough to rest when I'm within a few feet of her is humbling.  

I'm getting anxious to see Bella (NOT named after the character in the Twilight novels/movies) this summer.  I'm looking forward to more pictures of her and gaining more of her trust.  Mostly, I'm privileged to know that she considers my little backyard one of her safe havens.


2 comments:

  1. I was refilling my feeder one day last summer, when a male decided he couldn't wait for me to hang the feeder back up. I stood like a statue as he fed for what seemed like an hour! It was a thrilling experience to be so close to one of God's most amazing creatures! Beautiful picture!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at a loss for words when I was able to get w/in a few feet of her. So small, so beautiful, so loud. Can't wait for more bonding time this summer.

      Delete