Sunday, March 25, 2012

Springing!

I love spring!  Getting over the winter doldrums, seeing plants come back to life, baby animals, flowers blooming, and that bright yellow thing in the sky . . . oh, yeah, that's the sun.  There are a couple of places I like to go to take nature pictures (I'm trying to broaden those horizons, though), and I thought I'd share some spring photos.

Eastwood Metro Park
Loved the blue sky that day and was looking for
a different perspective.

Eastwood Metro Park
The clean lines and emptiness caught my attention.

Crocus (not sure where!)
One day I will have some of these in my yard.  I think they
are beautiful, and a SURE sign of spring!

Charleston Falls
I like coming here at different times of the
day to take advantage of shadow and
light changes. 

Charleston Falls
For some reason, the rocks at the bottom of the falls
caught my eye and held it.

Charleston Falls
I wasn't keen on that bare branch at the top, but now I kind
of like the contrast w/ the green on the right.  Loved the
movement of the water.
I haven't been out to Eastwood Metro Park or Charleston Falls yet this spring, but I'll be out there soon.

It's nice looking out the window and seeing color again.  The grass is definitely green in SW Ohio (and needing me to get out the lawnmower), plants are blooming, temps are higher than normal, bees are buzzing, and I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of hummingbirds.  The squirrels and I are about to do out dance w/ the bird feed . . . what will I try to keep them out of it, and what will they come up with to get into it?

It's also time for me to start cranking out the homemade suet.  I can't believe how much the birds (and squirrels) love it.  I found several recipes on the internet, but have begun adding cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, and chipotle pepper to those recipes to keep the squirrels out.  Love the antics the squirrels exhibit, but just wish they didn't take so much of the bird food.

Read this morning that we have a freeze watch until 3/27 @ 10:00 a.m.  Don't know how that will affect the plants, but at least I haven't planted anything yet!  I'll have to bring in one plant that I bought a couple of days ago, but everything else has already wintered.  Just when you get used to warmer, nice weather, it changes.  Sounds about like everything in life - nothing is as constant as change.

No comments:

Post a Comment