Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Bug Days of Summer

Yes, I know that August is typically referred to as the Dog Days of summer, but I've been seein' a lot of bugs lately!

I was back at one of my favorite places today while I was waiting to hear that Mom was back home and ready for me to come out and visit.  Some of you who are from the Huber Heights, Ohio area may recognize the location from one of the pictures, but it's not the most obvious view.  I'll let you know at the end of the post.  OK, so I was back at this place and over by the pond and along the trail, there were quite a few bugs to keep me company!  One particular flying demon kept buzzing my head, but I didn't even get a good look at it.


Yeah, still obsessing on the clouds.  But aren't they pretty?  C'mon, admit it!



The pond has a lot more algae on it than I remember for this time of the year, but there's also a lot less of the pond than I remember!  That couldn't be due to it being such a hot summer, could it?


Looking toward the fishing pier . . . most of the fishing being done wasn't from the pier, but beyond it, right at the bank.


I have absolutely no clue what this critter is, but he almost literally dropped in on my walk; just a couple of inches from where I was standing.  I thought it only polite to spend a minute or two with him and share him with y'all.



I promise, I only took 2 cloud shots today.  No more after this one!


I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!  I've not been fortunate enough before to catch two different  types of butterflies so close together.  I wish the blue one had stayed around a little longer though.



I don't know what kind of berries these are, but I sure didn't see much of any kind of flower or berry.  Another product of the hot summer I'm assuming.


I almost missed this guy, but the web was glistening.  I like how you can't really see the web, but the debris that's trapped in it makes your mind know it's there.


And of course, if there are bugs by a pond, there will most likely be frogs.  I caught this one after he'd jumped a couple of times.  Find him hiding?

It was another hot day, but fortunately, no headache today.  That meant I was able to make the most of a short visit to Carriage Hill for my photo opportunities today.  Haven't decided where to go tomorrow . . . maybe back to the Butterfly House at Cox Arboretum?  I'm thinking that's a good possibility.  But, now it's time to head outside to mow the front yard.  I think I'm really only mowing the weeds since it's been so hot, but it still needs to be done, darn it!  I wonder if I could get away with having a goat and letting it groom the lawn for me??


No comments:

Post a Comment