Friday, August 3, 2012

Trumped Up?

Yup, another HOT and humid day in SW Ohio.  As long as I remember to take my sinus "cocktail" on a regular basis, I can handle it.  I still don't like it, but I can handle it!

I decided it was finally time to at least release a few pictures of my attempts to get the trumpet vine growing over the unused clothesline.  The part that's been most successful has of course, been a volunteer plant or two that came up around the post and I've gotten it to vine around the pole and some of it is now (with some help) winding around the clothesline.  I need a trellis or something a little more sturdy than my initial attempts to get the plant behind the clothesline to cooperate more readily.  BUT, if it works this year, next year may be a whole lot easier.  A girl can dream, can't she?


The shot above is a couple of the trumpet vines which have been "encouraged" to wind around the pole for the clothesline; that was relatively easy!


This shot shows where some of the vines have gotten very long and are able to drape over the clothesline and start wrapping around the line.  These are the plants at the pole.


Different angle of the same idea . . .


Above and below are shots of my attempts so far to have the trumpet vine plant behind the clothesline drape over the clothesline.  My plan would work better if the plant were about 2 feet closer to the clothesline . . . right now I have some rope holding up part of the branches/vines; next year it will have to be some sort of trellis.


You can see where the vines are coming from the back, but they had quite a ways to grow to get to that middle line.  The vines twining in the front are from the plants at the post.  I will try to get a picture from the patio tomorrow so you can hopefully get a better idea of what I'm going for.


I was heading back to the house when I decided to see what I could grab on some of the other plants.  I really like the begonias, and they seem to like this hot weather.



I took several shots of the mandevilla - love the bright color, and that it's a vining plant.



Obviously, I like plants that vine and plants that have red blooms!  Honestly, I prefer purple, but I'm planting what I can to attract more hummingbirds.  It must be working because as I turned around from taking pics of the trumpet vine project, there were two hummingbirds fighting over the feeders.  Sadly, they chased each other off and I wasn't able to get a single attempt at a shot.  ARGH.

Well, in keeping with the "red" part of the theme tonight, I will quote Scarlett O'Hara:  "Tomorrow is another day."  That's another opportunity to get some pics of the hummingbirds (maybe after I re-fill the feeders!) and/or anything else that catches my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment