Monday, August 6, 2012

Sweet Success

Although it doesn't appear that ANYONE is interested in my little raffle (I get to keep the Duck Tape!!  I win!!!!), today has been pretty much filled with sweet success!

I had a phone call this morning that started the day off nicely - scheduling a job interview for tomorrow afternoon!  I had interviewed at the company before, but they decided on another applicant; they told me they'd keep my resume' on file, yadda yadda.  I must have made a good impression on the HR person because she's the one who called me now that they have another opening.  Yeah!!!!

After visiting Mom and working on a jigsaw puzzle with her for almost an hour (it's been a while since I've seen her interested in that), I had just enough time to type up minutes from a class reunion planning meeting and get them sent out before meeting friends for dinner at Milano's.

When I got home, I had time to sit out back with the camera watching for the hummingbirds to visit.  That turned into having time to stand out back because they didn't like where I was sitting (any slight movement and they would fly off).  But, I finally got to see some of the goldfinches (and caught them digitally) and listen to them serenade me as well.


I did see several goldfinches (both male and female), just about the time I was beginning to think I wasn't going to see many this year!  This has been a sparse viewing year on the goldfinches, so I was thrilled to be seeing them.


I'm still trying to get a good angle to show what I'm trying to do with the trumpet vine behind this bench (above).  It's a little hard to see the clothes line, but it gives a better idea of how far back the trumpet vine is from the clothesline.  I'm starting to look for a trellis so I can get rid of that blue rope (but it's working for now).


The shots above and below give a better idea of just how far the vines have to grow to reach the clothesline.  BUT, now that they've made it that far, I'm thinking the trellis will be sturdier, and hopefully add a little visual interest.


Still a work in progress . . . I'm hoping that next year the butterfly bushes will really take off as well as the trumpet vine creating the "bower" at the clothesline.  It would be nice if another volunteer trumpet vine would appear at the other clothesline post, but I may have to relocate one if it doesn't.  I really like the look of the one vining around the post.


I was DETERMINED to catch a shot or two of a hummingbird tonight.  I have seen several different times throughout the day when I've been at the kitchen sink, but those would have been crappy pictures, and if I'd grabbed the camera and run outside, it would have scared them away.  So, keeping an eye on the time and trying to remember some of the times I'd seen one at the feeders, I was ready to be outside for an hour to catch a shot.


I was thrilled when I was able to catch these shots, especially since I only had to wait about 25-30 minutes.




One of my favorite songs from teenage years is by Seals and Crofts:

Hummingbird don't fly away, fly away.  Hummingbird don't fly away, fly away.
In you I've found a fragrance.  I'll love you 'til I die.
I just love you, love you, love you.  I don't even know the reason why.
Hummingbird don't fly away, fly away.  Hummingbird don't fly away, fly away.
The sweetness of your nectar has drawn me like a fly.
I just love you, love you, love you.  I don't even know the reason why.  Now,
Hummingbird don't fly away, fly away. Hummingbird don't fly away fly away.

I love to watch the hummingbirds, and feel honored to have them coming to the feeders regularly.

What a great way to start the week.  So much sweet success (and on a Monday, no less).  It's gonna be a FABULOUS August!


2 comments:

  1. Cheers to a fabulous August! I love your hummingbird shots...Wow! That Goldfinch is pretty sweet, too!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm only assuming this is the beginning of some great new hummingbird shots, and now that I know there ARE goldfinches in my back yard, I'll be searching out opportunities to catch them (digitally) as well. It's funny, the goldfinch is one of the first birds I was able to photograph many years ago w/ my trusty 35mm FILM camera and I've loved their brilliant coloring (especially against greenery) since then. They began my "quest" to capture birds on camera.

    ReplyDelete