Friday, August 10, 2012

Pondering and Rumination

I'm still "hmmm-ing" over last night's closing thought.  Why do I have so much patience (comparatively speaking) when it comes to doing something I enjoy, but so very little at other times?  I've been pondering that off and on today.


Yes, more cloud shots.  They added to my ponderings as well!  Not only was the sky FULL of clouds of all types (nice, pretty, fluffy clouds as well as the darker, threatening weather clouds), they were also moving pretty quickly, and were often accented nicely when the sun was out.


I loved the pic above for the extreme contrast of the darker clouds at the top and bottom with the bright fluffy clouds and spot of blue sky shining through.


These clouds are such a mix of the darker and brighter clouds that I can't really put a finger on why I like it.  I just know I do . . .


I loved the way this succulent spiraled as it grew.  Not all of them did, which is why this one was so much more interesting to me.


I went back to Cox Arboretum, planning to visit the Butterfly House.  I learned today to make sure I'm there no later than 3 p.m. because they close the Butterfly House at 4:00.  I got there at 4:30.  I did get to see a LOT of butterflies from the outside though!  The shots look a little cloudy because there's a screen between the camera and the butterflies.



It was amazing to see all of these butterflies congregating.  I'm looking forward to going back (maybe tomorrow) to see it all from the inside.


The goldfinches were very close, and numerous.  They were very busy feeding on the flora, and although I tried to be VERY quiet and move slowly, they'd fly off when I crossed that line I couldn't see!


See!  I thought it was a cool shot, even if it isn't focused on the bird.  Not one I'd brag about, but will try to replicate (but focused on the bird)!


I also got to see a few butterflies outside of the Butterfly House.  I don't know if they are escapees from there, or if they hope to join their winged friends on the inside.  But it is nice to see them "on the outside."


I have no idea what either of the plants above and below are, but found both of them intriguing.



Teeny little moth!  He likes the purple flowers, too.


And a couple more cloud pictures to finish up with.  I was on my way back to the car at this point, and it started sprinkling before I made it.  It wasn't bad at all, and I had the camera bag, so all important stuff was kept safe and dry.


Now I'll circle back to the thought at the beginning of the post (and the end of yesterday's post) AND try to tie in my cloud ponderings and various other ruminations for the day.

WHY do I have so much more patience for the things I enjoy than for things that have to be done? I would strongly suspect that enjoying doing something means we like to prolong it; therefore we don't mind taking longer to get more enjoyment out of the experience.  I would also strongly suspect that those things we have to do are more like chores, and not as enjoyable, so we want them to be over as quickly as possible.

That minor piece of introspection I'll buy into.  It makes sense.  BUT, what about those things that really get under our skin and it's not a chore or something that HAS to be done?  Why do I lose patience driving on the highway in the left hand lane and the person in front of me is barely doing the speed limit and won't move over?  Why do I get frustrated in the grocery line when the person in front of me leaves their cart between us until after they pay (it's an efficiency thing; if they would push their cart in front of them, when their items clear the belt, I can place my items and we can keep everyone moving along and happy)?

And WHY do I keep hearing Jan Brady saying, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia."?  No, it's not jealousy.  It's far more insidious than that.  I don't want to admit what it is, but stating it will give it less hold over me, right?

It's plain old selfishness.  Wanting to put myself before everyone else.  What I want is more important than what is going on with anyone else.  Wow.  That's pathetic, but it doesn't have to be permanent.  Hopefully now I'll be a little more objective in the situation and think of those clouds and whether I'm the threatening weather of selfishness or the light and fluffy patience.  And every cloud I see will be a reminder (especially when I'm driving!).  :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment