Saturday, August 11, 2012

Fall In Summer or Fallen Summer?

The last couple of days have been SO nice temperature wise that it feels more like late September than mid-August!  That brings my weird thought process to wonder if we're experiencing fall in summer, or a fallen summer.

I've made my decision, complete with explanation.  What's yours?

It's been great to be outside again without too much worry regarding headaches or sinus/allergy attacks.  I've had the A/C turned off the last two days, and the windows open.  So nice to have fresh air.  The cooler temps also mean I can stay out longer and get more pictures at any given time!  Today, after a planning meeting for our high school graduation reunion, I stopped at Wegerzyn Gardens to see what interesting things were going on there.  I found a few, then a few more, and well, it kind of snowballed!  Couple of hundred shots later, I left.


I'm not sure what many of the plants are, unfortunately.  I believe the shot above is an hibiscus.



I could swear some of these logs were "wearing" the desert camouflage!  It just looks fake.  I couldn't get close enough to tell for sure, but I hope it's the real deal, not camouflage added to it.


Almost missed this little critter undulating along the rail.  He sure added some color to the drab surroundings.


I wish I knew what this plant was - it was beautiful.


Pretty sure this is a dahlia . . .


I liked the shape of the leaf, the way it curved . . .


I've never grown one, but I assume this is an eggplant.  Some of the more mature plants looked like eggplants that I've seen before . . .


I absolutely LOVED the way the light played on the plants today, especially in this shot where you can see the shadow of leaves of other plants from the backside of this leaf.


I don't have a clue what this plant is, but it reminded me more of pieces of the coral reef than a plant!


Pretty sure this is another type of honeysuckle (not the kind I have trying to take over the yard).  I couldn't tell you if there was a scent to it or not . . . there were several scents vying for attention, and this was kind of high up.


I was thinking this was a clematis, but I can't find what type it is if indeed it is clematis.  I just loved the complexity of the flower, along with the colors and shapes.


It is kind of silly, but I liked the spiral of this tendril.  Just cute and unexpected.







It won't be long and the hibiscus will be blooming en masse at Wegerzyn Gardens.  So many of the plants, and so many buds getting ready to bust open.


And this was taken tonight in my back yard.  The little guy was playing shy and wouldn't stick around when I was outside.  I did manage to get a few other shots, but I liked this one - his feet are still sort of hanging on, but the wings are already moving.

It's kind of funny (in an ironic way) that when I stop at one of the MetroParks or wildlife refuge centers without much thought as to what I might find, I end up finding a LOT of shots.  When I go hoping to catch certain types of shots, I'm almost always disappointed.  But, that does help me to try to keep an open mind and be flexible about things - you never know when something fantastic will be available, or when you'll be almost overwhelmed with fantastic opportunities.


2 comments:

  1. Joy, these are gorgeous! I'm not sure which one I like best! What kind of camera do you use? I want one!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Nikon D3000 Digital SLR, and I LOVE it. My suggestions for anyone considering purchasing a new camera (digital SLR or other digital): 1)hold them in your hands before you make a decision, then look at them and see if it looks too complicated or not. Whatever you do, do NOT buy a camera that isn't comfortable in your hands or you can't quickly figure out the basic use of. 2) go through the last couple of months of pics you've taken w/ your current camera. Are you pretty happy with them (exposure, composition, focus, etc.)? If so, it's probably reasonable to want to move up to a nicer camera. If not, I would strongly suggest mastering the current camera before investing $500+ when you would most likely get the same results. 3) have an extra battery. 4) buy a good flash if purchasing a digital SLR; I have a clearance rack flash, and it's better than the built-in flash, but the one I should have would give me more options and better results. 5) practice, practice, practice! 6) experiment, experiment, experiment. 7) keep trying; don't like a shot? Nobody else needs to see it! I posted about 15-20 pics here, but you haven't seen the other 185 or so that I took and didn't share. Only share the absolute best (the more you practice and experiment, the number of absolute bests will increase).

    ReplyDelete