Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I tawt I taw a . . .

Hummingbird.  I did!  I did!  Finally.  May 23, 2012 at 7:05 p.m. I saw a hummingbird at one of the feeders outside my kitchen window.  Unfortunately, I did not have the camera handy, and she didn't stay long.  But that means I'll need to be outside before 7:00 the next couple of days, with camera in hand, to try to catch sight of another visit!


So, yes, I'm revisiting hummingbird pictures from last year.  The ones near the honeysuckle and trumpet vine were taken in mid-August; the ones at the butterfly bush were taken in mid-July.



I think the evening I shot these pics was the first time I saw a hummingbird perched.  I'd only seen them continue to fly while feeding.  I remember thinking I was seeing things when she landed on the vine.





Loved catching the consecutive shots of Bella going to the nectar in the flower. Those teeny feet are amazing!  Until I saw her resting on the vine, I really didn't give a thought to hummingbirds having feet.  Pretty ridiculous, I know.  




This was my first shot of a hummingbird for 2011.  It was also my first shot of a hummingbird where there wasn't at least a screen between us.  I was so excited I'm surprised I didn't go absolutely bonkers.



I kept snapping away, and held my breath!  I was so afraid she'd fly away before I got a few more shots.




Fortunately for me, Bella stuck around for a few shots that I was very happy with.  That several minute interlude was enough to have me on-line and looking for ways to attract hummingbirds!  I was soon putting out fresh nectar daily, and figuring out when she'd be coming for a meal.  Then I planned to be outside before she normally showed up (with the camera, of course).  

Once Bella did arrive, I'd talk to her while she was feeding.  She hasn't developed a lot of trust in me yet, but I've got another summer to work on that, and hopefully a couple of summers after this one.

Such a tiny little thing, and those wings make a racket!  The first time I heard one, I thought I was being attacked by bees.  Fortunately I know better now, and don't freak out when I hear one (even if it turns out to be a bee!).

I will be posting some pictures I get this summer of my Bella and any of her family and friends that she brings with her.  I am fascinated by hummingbirds, and would love to chronicle their time in my yard.  That's the plan at least.  I will try to restrain myself and not share every picture of them I take!  I do hope though that I keep improving on the pics and get a bigger variety of shots.  There's that trust factor to take into consideration though.  I can't wait to get working on that!!  I also hope that some of the other plants I've gotten in the ground will help attract more hummingbirds in addition to the feeders.  I think I now have 4 or 5 butterfly bushes, as well as a couple of other red flowering plants that are supposed to attract butterflies and hummingbirds.  We'll see how well they work!

No comments:

Post a Comment