Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Turtles

Yesterday was, weather wise, a pretty depressing day.  I had hoped to make it to another metro park for photos, but before I could get to one, we had tornado watches, thunderstorm watches, and a whole lot-o rain. Bummer.


Today is making up for that nasty weather quite nicely though.  80 degree temps (it was still 85 when I mowed the front lawn at 6 p.m.!) and a lot of sun and beautiful skies.  All of that topped off what I think was a good job interview and a haircut (wait . . . I KNOW I had a haircut, I think the interview went well; punctuation does matter!).  So, feeling all spunky and a little full of myself with the shorter "do," I decided to head out to Carriage Hill Metro Park for a quick photo session.  Y'all are gettin' off light with only 8 pics today!



Loved the look of the algae and the reflection and thought the "hole" in the middle looks like a heart.



Spring in Ohio around bodies of water mean turtles will be out sunning themselves.  I took a LOT more than I'm sharing, but for some reason, I love to watch them out on the logs.



It's hard to tell from this photo, but this turtle was pretty small.  I zoomed in as close as I could get, and then I copped the photo twice once I uploaded it.  He was barely visible from where I was standing.



I'm fascinated by the fungi that grows on trees.  Don't know why, but I think it's really cool looking.








Two of the shots I waited around for about 20 minutes, hoping to catch (above and below).  I'd seen quite a few dragonflies buzzing around, but never slowing down or lighting on a branch or anything.  So, I finally just leaned against the rail of the boardwalk and waited, and waited, and waited.  It was SO worth it.




Even as I pat myself on the back for the dragonfly pictures, I keep thinking back to those turtles.  I never had one as a pet (at least not that I remember), and yet I believe I too often act like one of these guys.  I get worked up over something and the next thing I know I've put up that hard defensive shell and pulled into it so nobody can get at me.  If they continue to poke and prod, I just might stick my head out and snap at them (I might do that anyway).  And the longer they poke and prod, the longer I pull into the shell and turn that hard side toward them.  Can't say that's behavior I'm always proud to exhibit.  I'm thinking it would be better to be more like turtles in soaking up the Son . . . 



2 comments:

  1. I like that...Soaking up some Son! I may have to work that into my chapel talk next week!
    Jenny
    I'd Rather Be Birding

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free! I know I've heard it somewhere else, so it's not original, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete