Friday, May 25, 2012

See ya later . . . Oh, hello . . .

I was afraid that by starting the day off saying goodbye to a wonderful lady, that it would be kind of a blah or moody day.  I am very glad to say that wasn't the case.

Marva Lee was a fun, retired school teacher who moved into Friendship Village and became a friend of Mom's.  The two of them would get together and talk, talk, talk.  Marva was as good for Mom as Mom was for Marva.  Unfortunately, Marva had a lot of health problems and spent much of the last 6 months going back and forth between the hospital and the health center, in addition to maintaining her dialysis schedule.  She was a feisty little lady and was determined to give every effort to overcome each setback.  But, eventually, the number of health problems took its toll on her and she wasn't able to overcome the last setback.

We said "See ya later" to Miss Marva today, celebrating the unique person she was and sharing how she touched our lives.  I know I'll be missing her smile and her excitement at seeing friends and family.  I also know that eventually I'll join Miss Marva and all of my other friends in heaven, and we will spend our time in awe and wonder of being in God's presence.  I'm kind of jealous of those already there.


After saying "see ya later" to Miss Marva, I found a brand new nature center to give a big "Hello!"  Brukner Nature Center is in Miami County, and although I didn't spend much time there today, I definitely will go back (and to a few other parks/nature centers in Miami County).




These large tree trunks were at what I'm assuming is the main building for the facility.  The way they've aged fascinates me.



Not more than maybe a hundred yards from the parking lot is a nice pond surrounded by plenty of vegetation.  There is also seating (simple concrete block construction) if you want to soak in the atmosphere and sounds.  The frogs were in FULL concert today.  The turtles were soaking up some of the sun, but eventually took a dip into the water.



I kept feeling like I was being watched, and then noticed this ET face looking up at me from the water!  This had to have been a pretty good sized turtle, but I never did get a look at more of him than this.  Maybe next visit.



I was very surprised at how little this guy was - he was making a HUGE noise.  Of course, once I spotted him, he went quiet.  Temperamental frog diva!



The damsels & dragonflies were plentiful, but hard to photograph.  This one was nice enough to take a rest on the "boardwalk" just in front of me.  I wasn't about to pass up the opportunity!








This was another pond I could see from the trail, but not get very close to.  Another visit I hope to find a way to get closer to it.  Yes, I believe that's algae all over the top of it.



There were a couple of fish in the pond, but this is about the best shot I could get of one.



This picture turned out about a gazillion times better than I anticipated!  Yet another picture of foliage reflected in the water (the reflection ONLY).



I kept hearing a clicking sound close by, and it took me quite a while to find this little critter.  He was TINY.  From where I was standing, I would estimate the size he is in the photo is pretty close to actual size.  He was another loud one, but not the deep sounds from the larger, first frog I saw.




As I left the pond behind to head back to the car, as I got to the top of the trail, I spotted this beauty - a Scarlet Tanager.  Yup, another birding first.  Hello, gorgeous!


Loving being able to spend the time in parks and reserves to see so many beautiful sights, and to capture them on "film."  The more I see, the more I'm amazed at the beauty God created  for us to enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment