Tuesday, May 29, 2012

This is personal . . .

Today is the day after Memorial Day, and I finally made it to the local cemetery that has a Memorial Day Observation, Woodland Cemetery.  My best intentions to attend the ceremony yesterday were thwarted, and in some ways, I found the complete quiet and lack of people today led to a deeper and very meaningful experience.



I couldn't pass up taking a picture of this "tip of the hat" (pun intended) to Orville and Wilbur Wright.  The invention of the airplane certainly changed the way war is waged.  I doubt they foresaw the use of their invention in such a deadly manner.



There were quite a few graves like the ones above and below, of individual plots with flags and flowers commemorating service members.



The larger group I was pulled toward was dedicated to those who had served in the Civil War.  Many of the headstones had names and dates that were no longer legible.  Yet each headstone was adorned with a flag (yeah for good record keeping!).  It wasn't a huge area, but as my eye scanned the area, I got a huge lump in my throat.



Every flag I saw was in recognition of someone who experienced the sacrifice of military service.  They put their life on the line so others would live.



I'm not talking about the same quantity of flags as those at Arlington, or any other veteran's cemetery.  But each of those headstones represents a son, husband, brother, cousin, nephew, grandson, uncle, grandfather, or friend.  



Men who may have seen a relative on the other side of the front lines; who wanted nothing more than to return home to their families.  Yet, here they lie, in a peaceful setting, at rest, under the American flag of the union they died to save.



Each soldier who has ever worn the military uniform has done so for me.  The sacrifices each of them made, especially those who died in battle, were made for me.  I am able to live a life of freedom and ease because others continue to be willing to take on those sacrifices.


In memory of the soldiers and sailors of the War of 1861-65

Interwoven is the love of Liberty with every ligament of the heart.

One flag, one land, one heart, one hand, one nation evermore.


Today I thought of the grief the families of these men were left to deal with.  That hasn't changed regardless of the number of wars or where they are fought.


The American Revolution, The War of 1812, The Mexican American War, The Civil War, World War I, The Spanish American War, World War II, The Korean War, The Vietnam War, The Persian Gulf War, the Invasion of Afghanistan, and the Invasion of Iraq.


Regardless of how we feel about the validity of the wars or invasions, we need to honor those who died in service to our country, as well as those who return home.


Let's return to making Memorial Day about honoring those who died in service, and less about grilling out or opening the pool.  



Honor:  high respect for, as for worth, merit or rank.  


I will not let another Memorial Day go by without actively participating in honoring the men and women who have given their lives for my freedom.  This IS personal.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment