Saturday, May 12, 2012

Old and New

What a great day for photography!  Actually, it was a great day for anything, except being stuck in a hospital.  Feeling so bad for my favorite pre-15 year old niece and still not knowing what the heck is going on.  They thought earlier today that they might be taking out her gall bladder, but decided later the gall bladder isn't the problem.  I wish they would get their act together, NOW.


I was trying to be somewhat economical with my time and gas, and since I had to be out picking up some graduation and confirmation cards, I had the perfect excuse to go back out to Carriage Hill, but this time to the farm side.


I was taking my stuff out to the car to leave when I saw one of my red headed woodpecker friends at the suet feeder.  Since the camera was already in the trunk of my car, had to get it and hope he didn't fly off before I snuck back around the corner.




Whew.  He stuck around for a while, until he got this morsel, and let me take a bunch of shots.  I wasn't THAT close, but thank goodness for zoom lenses, and the ability to crop on the computer.


Got the nasty job of shopping (on the day before Mother's Day, no less.  People were CRAZY) out of the way and headed over to Carriage Hill.  Limited myself to about 45 minutes (that's a REALLY short visit for me), and am thrilled with the shots I got.



Just one of the several barns on the property.  I liked how it was kind of hidden away.



I like how the fences are really just stacked pieces of wood (yes, shape is important!), but what caught my eye was the juxtaposition of the old construction method of the fence with the much more modern red fire hydrant.



I have no idea what this is, but it caught my eye, and was tough to get focused.



I hope these are wildflowers, not weeds.  Regardless, they were very cheery.



One of the houses on the property; the fence brings Tom Sawyer and whitewashing the fence to mind . . . 



I liked this little brown donkey . . . he was just grazing away, on his own, not bothering anyone.



The sheep were grazing along, but always clumped tightly together, usually at least 3 at a time in one small spot, often with one's head under another's neck.  Love the eyelash detail I got on the sheep on the right!



This is the ear of another donkey I saw . . . it just BEGGED me to take it's picture.  This was taken from BEHIND the donkey - he "swiveled" his ears that far.



The rest of the donkey then begged for it's turn.



One of the blacksmiths at work; with his left hand, he was turning a crank that increased the strength of the flame (forcing air to the coals).





Beautiful "wild" roses in several colors.  I'm a sucker for yellow roses.



Second favorite are the pink roses; the ones I could get decent shots of weren't open yet.  Sigh.


And, the ever popular red rose.  



Some of the farm equipment from back in the day.





No, this isn't a barn, it's a restroom facility.  Love how they "hid" the function with a building that fits with the rest of the buildings.


I found, after visiting this example of times past, that I appreciate the people who worked SO much harder than we think of working on our most physical days.  We can just hop into the car and run to the store to buy clothes; we don't have to shear the sheep, spin the wool, weave the cloth, or sew the material to put clothes on our back.  


I also appreciate the blessings we have of electricity, cars, computers, and washing machines!  It seems somehow kind of odd today to be posting photos of tools and methods no longer in day to day use, while listening to the TV, with the washer and dryer running in the background.  And those photos were taken with a computerized, digital camera, not even a film camera.  Talk about the juxtaposition of past and present!


And yet, one thing is constant in all of the changes everywhere throughout all of time - Jesus Christ.  "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  Hebrews 13:8

No comments:

Post a Comment