Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Turtle, Take 2

I've been playing turtle again . . . pulling into my shell and not coming out for anybody.  It was only for one day, and I feel better for having done so.  I needed that day to process the bad news that I am STILL unemployed. I thought for sure I was getting this job.  Nope.  I did find out today that it was a very difficult decision for them, and that they really liked me and my qualifications; I kind of figured that out when the recruiter called to let me down, and practically begged me to keep in touch with him.  Regardless, it hurt.  And it hurt pretty badly.  The worst it's been since I've been looking for a job.  So, yeah, I took a day of being a turtle to work through it and accept it.


Today probably would have been a good day to be a turtle, but for a completely different reason!  I went to Aullwood Garden MetroPark today after visiting with Mom.  I was trying to be economical with time and gas since I had to be back at the Village for a seminar on Alzheimer's at 6:30 and it was about 4:00 when I left there.  Aullwood and Englewood are the closest MetroParks to the Village, and both are also close to one of my favorite fast food places, Hot Head Burrito (dinner!!).  So off I went to discover new and exciting sights.



This extremely large tree section was one of the first things I saw on the trail.  I wish I'd had a macro lens to REALLY get in close.





Love the look of the moss growing on the tree trunks.


 I was tempted to take off my socks and shoes and dip my toes in, but didn't dare!  I love the light reflections.



I know this guy is a cardinal!  Whew, one I recognize (and could recognize a bunch of them singing most of the time I was walking the trail). 



I don't know what this is, but I thought it was interesting.  Couldn't get all that close, or you know there would be some funky super close-up!



I tried this pic with the funky branch as the focal point as well, but I like this one better!  (FYI, funky is my word for today.)



Need help from my friend Jenny at I'd Rather Be Birding!, but I believe the bird above is a Vireo, and the one below is an Indigo Bunting.  If I'm correct, today was the first time I saw either one, ever!!  Jenny knows how exciting that is.




There's a moth "hiding" in the flowers.  Every time I moved to try to get a better shot, it would counter-move!  I guess it's used to stalkers?



I don't know what this is, but every time I see it, I think of the Crown of Thorns . . . and yet that's a plant that doesn't look anything like this.



Not sure what this is either, but thought it was pretty . . .



I liked the tiny bloom unfolding after most of the other buds had opened.


It's hard to tell, but this plant was growing in the middle of the creek.  One more thing I didn't have a clue about!



I liked taking pictures of the creek today (be glad I'm not sharing but a few with you; I took a LOT).



I thought these fungi were interesting, growing in the cleft of the tree.  I also liked the bark of the tree.



Empty benches are yet one more visual I have a "thing" for.  I'm not sure if it's because they seem a bit lonely, or if they're calling me to sit and relax.



Extreme close up of some clover (pretty good size clover).




Crazy, but I am fascinated with this hollowed out log!  For one thing, it's HUGE.  I love seeing how it has weathered over the years, along with the natural swirls and curves and growth rings from when it was alive.


So, why would TODAY have been a good day to be a turtle?  I enjoyed ambling through Aullwood, and I think it would have been nice to have gone even slower (possibly sighting MORE birds) and stayed all day.  I was also fascinated with the creek, the light reflecting on the creek, the rushing water, and the plants/algae growing in the creek.  There were several times I thought it would be nice to be floating down the creek . . . I think by slowing down, I appreciated the beauty around me a little more today, too.  Focusing on God's creation instead of my own sorry little mess of a life can do that to a person.

2 comments:

  1. Love your composition!! You are good. Why don't you pursue framing and selling some of these at a craft show or art studio!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Claire! I've thought of that, but matting and framing is more expensive than I can afford right now. It's in mind for me to do once I have some money coming in.

    ReplyDelete