Monday, May 14, 2012

Reflections from behind the bars


I had an extremely different view of life this afternoon . . . from behind bars.  Those dirty cops pictured "arrested" me as soon as I got to Friendship Village for, of all things, "Excessive picture taking on campus."  This is one of their special, fun weeks to recognize the staff and residents, and the theme is "Celebrating the 20s and 30s."



Officer Chaplain (he's really the Chaplain at Friendship Village) and I playing at dueling cameras.  Neither of us are usually in photos, so it was just silliness.


I was incarcerated for 5 very long minutes, during which Mom tried to break me out!  It was tough, but I lasted the whole 5 minutes.



This is the 1936 Ford convertible they had available for the residents to take a short spin in (with the owner driving it).  Pretty spiffy looking car.



Oh, man!  I coulda had a V-8!!



That rumble seat looks mighty uncomfortable . . .




Look at the shine on that chrome bumper!  You can see the reflection of the portico on the right, and check out that shiny tailpipe, too!



There's that dirty copper again, taking in aides and nurses from Assisted Living!  




Just one of the decorations for the week to celebrate the 20s and 30s.  They will be having a barbershop quartet in to sing tomorrow, and a dance on Friday that will include lessons on how to do the Charleston, along with a Charleston contest.  I know there will also be a movie marathon one day, but I'm getting a bit fuzzy on the rest of it (there's just so much going on).


I find it a bit ironic that the method of raising funds for the Alzheimer's Association was to put people in jail.  I know some of the residents with the more severe dementia or Alzheimer's issues feel as if they're living in a jail already; they can't come and go as they please, and they don't really understand why.  It is sad to see how the disease changes people to the point where they can't (or is it won't?) enjoy life.


It took Mom a long time before she began to feel comfortable at Friendship Village, but she does seem to enjoy it for the most part now.  She has much more social interaction (even if only at meals, or in the halls) than she did when living at home.  We have stressed with Mom that she's not in a nursing home (and she isn't; Friendship Village is a retirement community.  Mom is in a section that provides meals, cleaning, laundry services, and distribution of medication; she is free to leave the campus and can participate in any of the activities, whether for Independent Living or Assisted Living).  It helps that she has her own room, surrounded by her own things from home, including the bed.  It was a painful transition for Mom to make, but I think she enjoys not having to keep up the house or make sure the lawn gets mowed or laundry is done, at least on some level.


It's been a year and a half of learning all kind of new things, many of which I wish hadn't been necessary.  But, it's also been wonderful in providing me with an opportunity to alert family and friends of some things NOT to do, as well as some things to do so they aren't playing catch up due to an emergency.  I have been blessed with wonderfully supportive friends and family, which at times has made all of the difference in the world.  


The biggest thing I've learned is that I want to age, if not slowly or easily, at least realistically.  I may have to give up some activities or not do them as often, but as long as I'm breathing, I am determined to enjoy this wonderful day God has given me.  Even if I wake up in a crabby mood, I don't have to stay in it (and I hate it when I'm out of sorts; I'd much rather be having fun).  


"Whatever your work is, do it gladly. Do it as you would do it unto the Lord and not for people."  Colossians 3:23



4 comments:

  1. Joy, love the pictures, and you have such a beautiful way of writing. Unfortunately, most of us at our age are having to seriously think able and desk with our parents getting older as well as the day when they won't be with us anymore. Thank you for sharing your happiness as well as your trials you are dealing with & and I do truly appreciate the knowledge you are passing on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Able (about) & desk (deal). STUPID AUTOCORRECT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Ronda - you know how to make me feel like I'm doing something worthwhile even though I'm not being paid for it! I'm glad you like my pictures, writing, and the "knowledge" I pass on (especially that knowledge for when I've royally screwed up!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the autocorrects after a couple of tries - it's the worst invention EVER. Why can't mine be those hilarious ones that get posted on FB?

    ReplyDelete