Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Parade of the Redheads

Life has been going non-stop lately, and while I have a ton of things I should be doing, today became a "Calgon, Take Me Away" Day.


Initially my plan was to spend about an hour to an hour and a half outside watching the birds and/or reading.  I stuck to that plan very nicely as the birds cooperated!  Papa Cardinal above was my first visitor, and he allowed me to photograph him for a change.



Next, I saw these sparrow on the opposite side of the feeder, and liked the image that came through.



Papa Cardinal must have told Mama Cardinal it was her turn to come pose for me.  I've seen a female cardinal a couple of times, but it's been even shyer than the males.



Went back to my chair and read for a while, and when I got up to stretch a little, I took my camera "just in case" when I peeked around the corner of the garage.  Glad I did because this guy was showing off for me!




After the woodpecker flew off, I had to check out my peonies, which are just starting to open up.  I took a few shots of them and the honeysuckle, working my way closer to the suet feeder.  When I finally took the camera off of my eye, I was shocked to see this little woodpecker busy at work within a couple of yards.



I'm having a tough time deciding if this is a Downy Woodpecker or a Hairy Woodpecker, but I'm leaning toward the Downy because of the length of the bill . . . until I see it in a different angle . . . and then I'm just as sure it's the Hairy Woodpecker!




My flamboyant friend returned and showed off a while longer.  Have I created a situation where birds fly in for their portrait sessions?  He seemed to have enjoyed showing himself off from all angles (there are a whole lot more that I didn't share!).





After I came inside from birding and reading, my original plan was to get some cleaning done, along with some laundry.  But, when I checked the mail and saw a movie from Netflix, that agenda changed.  The movie was "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and I'd been wanting to see it for a while.  Knowing the next couple of days are going to be super hectic, I figured this was the only time I'd have about 2 1/2 hours I could carve out to watch it.  So, I did.

It certainly was an extreme contrast to the colorful outdoor experience I'd just had!  I've read all 3 of the books, and have seen all 3 of the Swedish version movies, and I'm leaning toward them as the better movies.

Now it's getting on toward the evening, and I'm feeling much more relaxed.  I'm glad I took some Calgon time for myself.  Now I think I can manage to squeeze in some of that cleaning and laundry before I go to bed and get up and start going, going, going tomorrow.

Thank you, my red fine feathered friends!  You certainly helped me chill out and relax so I can knock a few more things off my to-do list.

2 comments:

  1. You know I LOVE this post! There is no better way to relax than to watch birds....sigh!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. Sometimes I do like to sit and close my eyes and listen for all of them singing away and coming and going from the feeders. It really is, as you mentioned in a previous post, like listening to a symphony!

    ReplyDelete