Monday, April 30, 2012

Cox Arboretum

Yesterday's visit to Wegerzyn Gardens whetted my appetite for nature photography, so today I hit another of our metro parks - Cox Arboretum.  Our family has lived in this area for more years than I care to admit, but today was the first time I visited Cox.  I can guarantee I will be back.


I'm anxious for the butterfly house to open so I can get pictures there, but I ambled along for about an hour today, and am VERY happy with the variety of flora and fauna I caught, as well as some of the more artistic shots.  It was another 200+ shots that I'm trying to pare down to about 15 to share.



I think it's fun to see the turtles sunning themselves.  It's certainly a good indicator of a warm and sunny day!



There was a little girl who drew my attention to the chipmunk . . . I got quite a few different shots of him, but I like this one of him eating in his little leaf covered cabana.



It was a great day for getting the mirror image reflections off of the water.  The symmetry was amazing.








I thought this piece of wood was an interesting shape; it was certainly hard to ignore!




I don't know what this plant is, but when I first glanced at some of the blooms, I thought they were spiders!  Glad to realize they weren't.  Not a spider fan, unless we're talking about Spiderman.




My first goldfinch sighting of the season!  They were having some fun playing in the water, but were pretty shy.




This shot of the bridge's reflection reminds me of a Monet painting.  I'm seriously considering having it printed onto canvas and hang it upside down (so the bridge is right side up).



I loved the colors, as well as the mirror image here.



A different view of the bridge; from this angle the arch looks much higher than it does from the side.



Just a couple of turtles hanging out on a rock in the middle of the pond.  Too bad they had to climb over each other for lack of space . . .   :-D



I'm not sure what the food was (probably bread), but this guy definitely found it, and was not planning to share it!






An unusual shot, but I liked the reflection of the duck's head and bill with the back of the body and foot . . . a different perspective.  I was trying to get as close as possible to better capture the texture of the feathers.


I was really hoping to catch sight of Zipp.  He's a working border collie they use to keep the Canada Geese under control; since they started working him, the sidewalks are less hazardous, and definitely less slippery!


I've been to two different metro parks in as many days.  There are only 16 more for me to visit!  Then there's also Charleston Falls in Miami County . . . I'm going to be getting a LOT of photography practice in.  I must give the weather its due for helping make getting the shots so much easier today.  A bright sunny day seems to make it a snap (no pun intended) for some of these types of shots.  It also helps that I hadn't been here before, and was probably a little more alert and observant.  Gotta keep these eyeballs peeled for all different kinds of beauty around me!


Since I didn't subject you to all 247 photos, you couldn't know that I seemed to be taking a lot of pictures with the mirror image reflections.  I haven't been able to catch many of those type of pictures so they turn out looking as good as these do, but I think my brain was telling me something, too.  


Our lives reflect who we are, what we believe, and what's important to us.  What image am I reflecting?  I hope tomorrow's reflection is better than today's, as I continue working toward a sharply focused mirror image of my Creator.





No comments:

Post a Comment