Tuesday, June 5, 2012

15 Minute Demo??

I have been trying very diligently to stick to my self-imposed plan to take photos every day.  No, that is normally not a problem for me (I always seem to be able to find SOMETHING that fascinates me).  Tonight however, I was hoping to lay in wait for the hummingbird out back, and get some shots of the woodpecker at the suet feeder in the meantime.  Jenny @ I'd Rather Be Birding!, I can see from this angle for the first time why they're called Red Bellied Woodpeckers - thank you for educating me on that.



There I was, minding my own business in my back yard, focusing on the red-headed beauty, when I heard an odd noise.  I didn't think much of it until I moved the camera from my eye to see if the hummingbird had shown up yet.  What I saw a couple of houses up the street made my jaw drop.




HOLY CRAP!  I had seen the monster machine being delivered at that house when I got home, but figured since it was already after 6 p.m., they wouldn't start until tomorrow morning.  I missed out on a good part of the show.  Bummer.




By the time I got close enough, the garage and 2/3 of the house were already gone.  It desperately needed to be demolished, if only because it had been several months since we first saw the hole in the roof that went all the way through into the house . . . who knows what critters had been living there (or if some humans had found a way in).




One thing that caught my eye in all of this was the rose bush out front.  In all of the demolition, they did not destroy that plant!
























See?  Here's the rosebush, intact, in front of a LOT of debris.








Notice the duster just right of center?  looks like it wasn't even touched!  The mattress on the other hand sure looked like it had been chewed up by the machine.




Torn down all the way to the footers.  Tomorrow morning the demo crew will be back to remove everything they tore down, plus a few of the plants, a shed in the back yard, and a part of the fence, as well as the footers.  They expect to plant grass there tomorrow!




I liked the way the curve of the rose branch was slightly echoed by the debris in the background . . . 





Yes, this is what passed for entertainment in the neighborhood tonight.  It was fascinating talking to a couple of the demo guys afterwards.  Sadly they've been pretty busy doing the demo work in Huber and Dayton.  In Dayton, they've had commercial as well as residential jobs to do, and have more scheduled.


Hmm . . . wondering if I'll make it up early enough to catch them doing more work before I have to head off to my hair appointment.  I will try, if for no other reason than the sheer challenge of documenting what they're doing (probably from across the street).

No comments:

Post a Comment