Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Honorary Pointer Sister?

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it . . . the song by the Pointer Sisters keeps running in my head! There are a couple of reasons for that today.

I got to go on a short road trip with a friend to check out a possible location for our high school reunion.  I'm not sayin' how many years it has been since our graduation, but it's more than 5 and less than 75.  Yeah, I know, don't quit my day job for the comedy circuit.

Anyway . . . another member of our graduating class and his wife had offered the use of their farm (12 acres out in the country) AND a hog roast, so we wanted to see where the farm is and if we might be able to work it all out.  Can't say yea or nay yet because we haven't discussed it as a group, but I had a heck of a great time!

Remember, it's 12 acres out in the country.  The acreage is mostly wooded, with several paths and "camps" set up.  Oh, so relaxing and quiet.  Well, quiet until one of the donkeys started braying.  They've even set up a nice bano along the trail, complete w/ music and a disco ball.  Seriously.

 

See!  I did not make this up.  Above is the back view of the destination outhouse . . . and below is the front view.


Sorry, but if you want to see the disco ball and hear the music, you will have to make your own reservations for the destination outhouse.


The very nice, well-worn path we took to several "camps" and a secret place.


One of the camps.  There are several hammocks around the camps.  Our hosts picked them up in their travels to Ecuador.  Sigh.  Jealous!




You know I was lovin' these trees!  What character and individuality.


Re-purposed sign for firewood being used as a platform.


This is all I can show you of the Secret Place because, well, it's a secret place!


This was my absolute favorite moment of the day, week, and month!  I happened to look up and see what I thought was a raccoon (it was).  Oh, so very happy to have spotted him.  We weren't that close, and he was up pretty far (and not just for me).  I kept hoping he'd move so I could get a better shot, but this was as good as it got today. I was just happy I didn't miss him.  This was why I considered myself an honorary Pointer Sister today . . . I had to point him out to my cohorts, and I was so excited for having seen and photographed him.  Yeah, I know, re-read the last sentence of paragraph 2.

 



Back by the destination outhouse . . . the men's room.  Enough said.


Three beautiful goldens!  Very friendly pooches I would have loved to spend all day with.




Three donkeys, and we got to feed them peppermints.  That was fun, and definitely a first for me.


This pic just makes me laugh.  I really don't think I'm getting attitude, but it sure looks like he's stickin' his tongue out at me for feeding the donkeys and not playing with them!  They were such sweet boys I'm sure they never have attitudes.  :-D

I'll have to admit, if I lived on this property, I don't know that I'd ever leave it.  It was so nice to sit and chat and catch up a bit, as well as walk through the property and enjoy turkey burgers together.     My nature "fix" was taken care of, and I didn't have to visit one of our MetroParks.

Now it's back to boring, ordinary, everyday things like mowing the lawn and laundry.  Blech.  At least I can look at the pics again and experience it all over again.

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it . . . 

2 comments:

  1. Best day of the summer for me so far Joy! I am truly happy you pointed out the racoon sleeping so high up in the tree. I would have missed it completely! So glad we got to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still thrilled that I spotted it - I guess all of my meandering through the MetroParks is starting to pay off!

      Delete