Monday, June 4, 2012

Bloomin' Backyard, Redux

I am SO completely enjoying this mild winter and spring!  One of the trumpet vines is just about exploding with blooms, but not the one I pruned WAY back (but it is growing like nobody's business).  That's OK - maybe I can keep ahead of them this way??


Just a couple of the blooms open and ready for the bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds, not to mention the ants.



Trumpet vine buds before they open - hard to imagine all of that flower contained in those little buds.  Oh so many of them on this particular plant, too.  C'mon little hummingbirds, your nectar bar is OPEN!



More of the beautiful daisies in varying stages of blooming.  I love it when most of them are open at the same time - simple beauty at it's best.




The yucca plant is also pretty much in full bloom.  I wish it would bloom more often - unfortunately, it's only pretty about 1 or 2 weeks out of the season.  But it is pretty, and difficult to get rid of, so I'll hang on to it!




I'm guessing these are coneflowers.  I'd planted a bunch of wildflower perennial seeds last summer, but it was too late/hot and dry for them to do much then.  I'm reaping the benefits this year though.  Not all of the plants are coming up, but a couple here and there are, which makes it interesting every time I check!



The primrose had already bloomed, and I thought was finished.  Looks like I'm gonna get another round out of them!




I don't know what this plant is, but I found it hiding and had to grab a shot of it.  Love the purple!




And the reblooming lilac looks pretty ready to bloom again!  YEAH!!!  Can't wait to see those little pinkish blooms, and smell my favorite fragrance.


Now, with all of this beauty just in mostly my back yard, it's surprising when something not quite so beautiful intrudes onto the edges of my sanctuary.  Yesterday, I had left home to pick Mom up from church when I saw something in a neighbor's yard.  I kept thinking it was the weirdest dog I'd ever seen.  When I got close enough, I realized it was a Turkey Vulture enjoying it's noon meal (probably a squirrel).  EWWW.  Yuck.  Not near my little bit of beauty and rest, please.


I sat outside for a while today watching the birds enjoy what was left in the feeders.  Several of them empty out pretty quickly because the squirrels have learned how to tip the food out of them since they can't get into them anymore.  There are a couple though that the squirrels haven't yet gotten the better of, and they tend to remain filled a little longer.  That's good 'cause 20 pounds of seed doesn't last very long in my back yard!  I've been searching for the 40 pound bags on sale, but I can't get stocked up.  Every time I think I'm going to have one in reserve, I empty the previous one.  These fine feathered friends are greedy little buggers.


But, they are worth it.  I love sitting outside and watching them.  The last couple of days I've been watching them when a group of them are balanced on the telephone wire and a couple more add to the group.  It's sometimes a bit comical watching them try to balance with the swaying wire or shift of weight.  Every time I sit outside and watch the birds and squirrels, I feel so much more relaxed and calmer about life in general.  And if I close my eyes and just listen to the sounds, it's another level of treats for the senses.


My pretty blooming plants, the feathered friends, and the entertaining if irritating squirrels are part of my little backyard island of solitude where I can go to recharge my batteries and relax.



No comments:

Post a Comment