Saturday, June 9, 2012

Playin' Possum


When my brother and I were growing up (way back in the dark ages; the days before remote controls came with anything) our dad, was the KING of Playin' Possum, or at least that's what he wanted us to believe.  He could be asleep in his recliner, snoring so loudly he couldn't hear the TV, but if we changed the channel, he would calmly say, "Turn it back.  I was watching that."  Thirty seconds later the snoring would resume, and his eyes never opened.

We knew even then he wasn't really Playin' Possum, but it did turn into a bit of a game.  We did our own little experiments.  Was it easier to get away with if we turned that dial really fast, or was it better to go so slowly you almost didn't hear the clicks?  Did a certain amount of time have to pass with Dad's eyes closed before it was safe to try?  Was the snoring a definite sign of being asleep?  Nothing ever worked.  We ALWAYS had to turn the channel and either keep watching golf or find something else to do.  Yeah, we found something else to do.

Today, I thought of Dad because I visited Possum Creek MetroPark.  I'd never been there before, and I only saw a brief part of it (it was kind of hot and humid).  I do want to go back to hike some of the trails, and to check out the farm.


There were a lot of nice views of the ponds, and several different ponds and lakes to visit.  I only went to three of them today.  There were quite a few people out fishing, but I tried to be quiet and let them fish in peace.


I like how the bench is almost over-run with foliage - I'm guessing that's not a popular side for fishing from.  I think I'd like it, mostly for the shade!


The board that says "Possum Creek" is actually part of the back of a bench (like the one almost hidden above).  I wanted to get more of the bench in the shot, but it was too close to the path for that to happen (and I'm too short).  Bummer.


I happened to look up and catch this guy suddenly; you can't really tell (another wonderfully sunny day), but this is a red winged blackbird.


All kinds of buggy things were buzzin' around.  I got this shot on a wing and a prayer.  Don't know how, but glad of it.


THIS guy was very patient with me - I was hoping to catch that right upper wing glow/iridescence. Glad I took several shots to have a better chance at it!


My weird imagination at work again.  To me, it looked like these Canada Geese were using the water as a mirror while they were preening . . .


I think the goose on the right was most concerned with his appearance . . .


I'm guessing this is a type of thistle, but I don't really know.  I liked the color.

Now you've seen what I did today, playing at Possum Creek.  You never know what I'll find to take pictures of next time, so keep checking back . . . maybe you'll catch me Playin' Possum.


No comments:

Post a Comment