Thursday, June 14, 2012

Backyard Bliss

I was out enjoying my backyard again the last couple of evenings.  Yesterday, it wasn't so much enjoying it as sweating over it - mowing was overdue by several days!  But, it looks so much nicer, especially with the new bird feeder and new clematis.


I had seen on Pinterest how easy it was to take a globe lighting fixture and turn it into a bird feeder, but I didn't like it being all white, so I added strips of Duck Tape (I know you are all agape that I use Duck Tape).  I'm beginning to wonder if I used the wrong pattern because the birds don't seem to like the feeder . . . I've seen a cardinal at it a few times, but that's been it.  The squirrels haven't bothered it either; it's still almost full of feed.


I bought a new clematis plant this year, only because the one I planted last year seemed to have had a problem with a late frost or freeze.  I'm hoping it comes back next year, and I'll have two twining around the post.


The sunny daisies are blooming, bringing memories and smiles every time I look at them.  I have other daisies planted, but they haven't started blooming yet.


One of the trumpet vines blooming away.  It has a TON of blooms on it, and I've cut it back a couple of times.  The one I cut back more severely hasn't started blooming yet, but it sure has some LONG vines.  I'm trying to "train" it over the top of the clothesline, so we'll see how that goes.  If I'm successful, I'll post a picture; if I'm not, I'll be doing some more major pruning!


I'm not quite sure what flower this is; could be a coneflower, or it could be any number of perennial wildflowers . . . I planted a mix of seeds last summer, but it was so hot and dry that none of them came up.  It's been nice enough so far this season that a few of them have started.


Trying to keep these guys hanging around - keep one feeder for peanuts just to lure them and the woodpeckers.  I also have a couple of the suet feeders with woodpecker suet, but haven't seen the woodpeckers for a couple of days.

Haven't seen much of the hummingbird lately.  I've been changing the feeders every other day, making sure they get a good cleaning.  The little thingamajig I bought to keep the ants away has worked wonders, but it doesn't help with the bees.

I'm hoping in the next few days to be able to take a little time and relax in the back yard.  So much to do lately that I feel like I'm always on the go.  I may end up taking a day or two to just veg out.  It's so nice to be able to walk out the back door and feel like I can soak up the atmosphere and relax.  I'm trying to be out back reading, with the camera handy, to catch Bella for her evening visit to the hummingbird feeder.  The time spent out there has been wonderful, regardless of which feathered visitors there are (or aren't).  I like having this little piece of backyard bliss.

2 comments:

  1. He's always one of my favorites - when I can catch one! Love the different shades of blue.

    ReplyDelete