Thursday, June 21, 2012

Time for a cold one!

Lest there be any confusion, let me state plainly that I do NOT like hot weather.  Nor apparently does hot weather like me.  I tend to get severe headaches when the temps start approaching the upper 80s, and if it's also humid, I live on Extra Strength Excedrin & Benadryl, and cold caffeine.

Since we've had the last several days in the 90s, I've been fighting headaches mostly with caffeine and chocolate.  I'd gladly pop the Excedrin, except I'm scheduled to donate blood tomorrow.  That means I'm not supposed to have anything w/ aspirin in it 48 hours prior to donating.  The headaches haven't been debilitating, but they are annoying.

So, in an effort to get my mind off the heat and humidity outside, I'm posting pictures from winters past, or snow storms, or ice storms.


When I took these first pics, I lived in a 3rd floor apartment.  I'm assuming the paw prints were left by squirrels.


This pic was taken through the window - I had to sequester the beasties before I could think of opening the patio door.


Yup, beasties were successfully sequestered, and I ventured outside for a few minutes.




This was taken at Mom's house later that same day - there was a lot of drifting snow . . .


I liked the way the snow stuck to the chimney, heavier in spots than in others.


I'd forgotten how much snow the pine trees could hold!


One of my friends has 5+ acres of land with their house, and one winter decided to build a small ice rink; the kids had a blast.  Unfortunately that winter, it only got cold enough for the rink a couple of times.


This is what frost on the grass looks like at 7 a.m. in October, up close.  It was too freaking early to be up, let alone shivering at a soccer tournament.


This is what the same frost on the grass looks like from a distance - more like a light dusting of snow!  I almost wished I was out there playing, just to help stay warm.


These last photos are from the ice storm in February of 2011.  The parking lot at the apartment was more like a skating rink than parking lot, and it took forever to clean off the car windows.  I think I turned the defrost on for at least 15 minutes before it started to melt any of the ice.


Yes, it was beautiful to look at, but it was treacherous to get around on.


I do believe I'm feeling cooler now.  It is time to make sure I get more fluids in me, along w/ another round of Benadryl . . . might have to hit the cold caffeine though . . . Diet Mt. Dew, I hope you're ice cold by now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment