Friday, June 8, 2012

Crafty Nature?

I don't think many people who know me would ever accuse me of thinking inside the box.  Today has proven no exception!

I started the day finishing off one craft project, and trying another (no photo of it yet, that's another post!).  I made three of the "Awards" pictured for the nurses who participated in the skits during the Alzheimer's Association presentation.


That's a little plastic pink pig I spray painted gold, a small wooden plaque I spray painted the stone finish, and a small craft stick I used my label maker to cover.  How easy it was (once I found the right plaque and craft stick) to do this!  The surprise will be when the nurses get them; I'm trying to see if I can get the Executive Director to present them in a staff meeting.  And yes, these are the highly coveted Hammy Awards.


While I was waiting for some of the sealant and/or glue to dry, I lounged outside enjoying the backyard atmosphere again.  I waffled for several hours about where I'd go today to get some more nature shots, but finally went with a friend's suggestion.  I went back to Wegerzyn Gardens.



But, once I got there, I didn't take my previous path; nope, I took a LONG and meandering path.  I don't know what the plant above is, but I thought it was interesting, and I liked how the background washed of colors complement the colors of the buds.  Crafty nature.



Love how there's something growing on the roof of this building.  I'm not sure if it's grass or what, but it's certainly interesting.  Crafty Nature.




I know some of you will laugh when I admit I didn't know chipmunks made chirping noises.  I thought I was hearing a bird when I ran across this little guy.  Loved how he froze when I got "close enough" and then turned around, ready to run when I took another step.  Crafty Nature.




Loved the sun shining so the railing made a nice pattern on the "boardwalk".  Crafty Nature.



I think the sun was the main reason for most of my interesting shots today, especially this fern.  From another angle, with the light hitting it differently, it looked rather boring.  I found this kind of mesmerizing with the symmetry and contrast of the dark dots with the lighter frond.  Crafty Nature.



Found plenty of evidence on this tree of woodpeckers in the area!  Crafty Nature.



I thought this was a beautiful addition - the quote says "The energy of the mind is the essence of life."  Crafty.  Nature.



I have some of these pop up in the middle of the back yard!  Volunteer strawberry plants.  Crafty Nature.


I have no idea what this plant is, but it certainly stopped me in my tracks and almost demanded I take it's picture.  Crafty Nature.



I don't know if I can describe this tree adequately.  I was in the middle of the path and I leaned my head back to look up.  This is what I saw directly above me . . . the branches arching over the pathway (it seemed they were about a gazillion feet above me, too).  Crafty Nature.



Yes, even Mother Nature re-purposes!  Plants growing out of a fallen branch or log.  Crafty Nature.




I wasn't sure how the photo above would turn out.  I really like it though.  The sun was shining SO brightly that while my view showed a lot of leaves in varying shades of green, the result was an almost complete black.  I need to clean the camera lens because I can see the "flare" spots from dust or spots on the lens.  I like them here though . . . maybe I'll hold off on that cleaning!  Crafty. Nature.



This is called a "gall" - where a fungus or parasite infested the tree, and the tree responded.  Crafty Nature.



 I'm guessing this is the red-headed step child of the moss family.  Crafty Nature.



Does anybody else think "The Scream" by Edvard Munch??  Crafty Nature!!




A couple of topiary dogs "guarding" an entrance to the Children's Discovery Garden.  Crafty.  Nature.


Not only was it a day of crafts and nature, some of the crafting was to benefit nature, and some of nature was definitely crafty (in almost every aspect of the word).  adjective cunningschemingslydeviousknowingdesigningsharpcalculatingsubtletrickyshrewdastutefraudulentcannywily,insidiousartfulfoxydeceitfulduplicitoustricksyguileful 
open, simple, frank, innocent, ethical, naive, honest, candid, ingenuous, wet behind the ears


I'm liking the idea of crafty nature; it certainly keeps me on my toes and keeps me looking for new and interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment