Saturday, April 21, 2012

Bibliophile Heaven!

Twice a year, Dayton, Ohio is my version of a bibliophile heaven.  The Friends of the Library for the Dayton Metro Library sponsor a book sale on a Friday evening, all day Saturday, and ending Sunday mid afternoon (I think).  This year, prices were raised for Saturday, but even so, all hardbacks are $1.00 and paperbacks $0.50.  Where else can you spend $26.50 for 27 books AND support the local library?  Never mind that it also feeds my addiction to reading, that's more icing on the cake (as if yesterday wasn't sweet enough).


Normally, I'm at the book sale when the doors open, and limit myself to an hour and a half of walking the aisles.  Not exactly aerobic exercise, but it beats sitting on the couch reading (as far as exercise goes).  This morning, I could barely drag myself out of bed to make it there by 11:30; that's what happens when you spend time with friends where you end up laughing so hard your cheeks and jaws hurt, and then don't get home at a decent hour.  But, once it clicked in my brain that today was the sale, I was out of bed and heading for the shower.  


The book sale is held at Hara Arena, which hosts a lot of HUGE events for the area.  While this looks like it's a continuous line of table filled books, there were a couple of horizontal aisles . . . books are not in much of an order other than sorted by Children's books, Paperbacks, Adult Fiction, Adult Non-Fiction.  Even then, there are all kinds of books mixed in everywhere.  One of my favorite words comes to mind every time I go to the sale:  serendipitous.  If I go looking for a specific book, I don't find it.  However, if I go with a completely open mind to what I might find (including new to me authors), I end up with my cart filled with books in short order.


The view of my cart from the top . . . love this cart!  I have 3 of them that collapse down, the handles telescope up and down, and they're wheeled.  I bought all of them at Big Lots, but this is the biggest, so it's the one I take to the book sale.  Every sale, at least one person asks me where I got it.  You see, they only provide a limited number of boxes for people to collect their books in.  They get very heavy quickly, and are awkward to carry around or kick forward while browsing.  It's SO much easier to roll this thing around than to bring bags or juggle the boxes.  This year, one of the moving companies was there providing boxes w/ their logo on them for free; smart advertising/marketing on their part.




These are the books I walked away with.  Heavy on the mysteries, but I did get an autobiography of Ansel Adams, as well as a few other non-fiction books.  I also bought some books that I just hadn't gotten around to reserving at the library; I'm finally going to read "Uncle Tom's Cabin."  I didn't check out any of the audio or DVDs for sale - the books are more important to me.

It took me just under an hour to fill the cart, have the books counted, pay, load the car up, and head home.  Then I had to make a quick stop at Kroger's to get a few ingredients to make goodies for the assisted living staff tomorrow.  Mom is having friends pick her up and take her to church in Middletown, so I get to sleep in!  BUT, since I promised the staff goodies every Sunday, I still need to head out there to deliver.  I tried a new recipe, and what I tasted as I made it was delicioso, but I'm going to have to try it soon, just to make sure it's up to standard!  I made a Bailey's Irish Cream Fudge (minimal Bailey's in it, which gets the alcohol cooked out of it anyway).

Now it's time to get some laundry done so I have clothes to wear!  This bibliophile is in the middle of one library book, has 4 more waiting, plus to waiting to be picked up from reserve in addition to the ones I picked up today.  Don't mind doing laundry as much now that I can do it anytime I want or need to, PLUS with all of the books I have on hand, it's a great way to spend time "waiting" for the cycle to finish . . . but anyone who knows me is aware that I do NOT need an excuse to read.  I will escape into a novel at any opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment