Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Spring Freeze

Knew it had been too good to last.  All of this unseasonably warm weather would have to suddenly turn on us.  Yup!  Tonight we have a freeze advisory until tomorrow morning at 9 (right now it's in the low 60s).  So glad I haven't started planting anything yet.

But, talk of potential freezing temps tonight reminds me of the previous two February snow/ice storms we were "blessed" with.  I didn't mind them too much because I didn't have to go anywhere either time, but those who did sure had some fun cleaning off their cars and negotiating the slippery roads.  I did get to go out to take pictures (I know, that's not a surprise) . . . it was, of course, freezing, but another opportunity to try something new - snow/ice pics.



These are from the snow storm in February 2010.  It was a great day to be living on the 3rd floor (which is how I was able to get pics of the upper branches coated w/ snow) and cuddling w/ the beastie boys.  It's funny that they are such a good indicator of how cold it is by how close they want to be to each other and to me . . .





These ice pictures were from February 2011, and I was in the midst of packing and moving.  It was a great excuse to take time to do anything else.  I think I took about 30 pictures in 10 or 15 minutes 'cause it was definitely COLD.  I also defrosted the car windows, which took about 20-30 minutes.  I couldn't even begin to touch the ice before defrosting; I considered myself lucky to be able to get into the car w/out much effort.

Yes, I'm aware that we are highly unlikely to have similar weather conditions tonight.  But, the "threat" of freezing weather reminded me of these pictures.  There are so many times we're all faced with sudden changes (weather, health, employment, etc.) and feel as if we can't cope.  But, how many of us, when faced w/ a sudden snow or ice storm, but MUST get to work, find a way to deal with it and get to work?  We may not have a plan, but we work at shoveling the snow or scraping the ice until we can move the car or see out the windows.  Did we use the best or easiest method?  Maybe; maybe not.  Does that really matter?  We did what we had to do under the conditions faced at the time.  There will be time later to reflect on whether we either could or should have done things differently.  Let's celebrate the success for what it is - success!!  We succeed at many things every day; let's not spend those days beating ourselves up for what we didn't accomplish or succeed at.

No comments:

Post a Comment