Monday, April 23, 2012

Hmmmm . . .

It's been the kind of day that has had me going "hmmmm" an awful lot.  Phone calls from people I've never heard of and who won't leave a message.  People saying they're going to stop and drop something off, then don't show up.  Stopping at WalMart for a few things for Mom and checking the Duck Brand Duct Tape selection find they have a whole slew I don't have, but limit myself to two (polka dot and a different Hello Kitty print).  Wondering what the heck I did w/ that 5 gallon bucket.  Eating some more of that delicious Bailey's Irish Cream Fudge I made yesterday.

For all of that "Hmmmm-ing" I did today (and yes, there was some "Hawing" along with it, but that's not germane right now), I of course, thought of my favorite little bird, the hummingbird.  I've already put 3 of the feeders and the nesting material out, hoping to see them soon.  According to the migration maps, they are in the area, but I still haven't seen one this year.  Maybe if I weren't looking for them so closely they'd be here already.


Last year was the first time I'd seen regular hummingbird visitors in the back yard.  It only took two sightings to have me hooked and jumping through hoops to attract more of them to the yard.  One of my high school friends who lives in North Carolina had shared videos of at least half a dozen hummingbirds at his feeder at any given time; I was jealous, but at least I had a source for useful information!  He did share his tips with me, and I learned to already be outside around the time the little girl usually dropped in for her libations.  The first couple of times she came up from behind me scared me - those wings beating furiously make a lot more noise than I thought they would!


I talked to the little beauty every day, and she let me get within a couple of feet of her before taking off.  I think a few of these pictures she was posing for!  I only saw two females off and on for sure, sometimes not wanting to share the feeder with each other.  It was amazing and humbling to watch them rest for short periods of time on the vines or the feeder - they must have felt safe enough to do so.


I loved the contrast of the green behind her on the shot above.  I almost looks as if she's falling back into the leaves.  I would have loved to have gotten her shadow.


Love the way the wings were captured in this shot.  And notice the tiny little feet up next to the body.  I'm waiting for the day she trusts me enough to land on my hand.


My little Bella had apparently had her fill for the time being, and decided to rest.  She's SO tiny, and yet so FAST.  I'm really anxious for her to return this year.  It does look like the nesting material has been "bothered" but who knows if it was by a hummingbird, or another bird looking for nesting materials.  I hope it was Bella though, and also hope she has her family nearby so I can watch them grow and we can enjoy each other's company for many summers to come.

I don't know how much longer it will be before I catch sight of Bella or any of the other hummingbirds.  I hope it's soon though.  The butterfly bushes, re-blooming lilacs, and honeysuckle bush help attract them, so I'm doing my part to make the back yard a hummingbird haven.  C'mon ladies, have pity on the human and show your beauty to her, and get those lazy males to show up once in a while!  She promises to feed you and only get close enough for pictures.  What do you say?  Hmmmmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment