Friday, April 27, 2012

Caput apri defero. Reddens laudes Domino

It's been a dizzying day.  So much going on, but not much actually happening.  As one of those statistics regarding the unemployed for over two years now, I'm thrilled that I've even been contacted by a potential employer.  I've had a few interviews, but lots of positive comments about the wonderful experience and qualifications that I have.  And yet, no job offer.  Sigh.

So, every once in a while, I try to do something special for myself to keep the emotional and psychological aspects of unemployment from overwhelming me.  I've been good about keeping myself busy with a variety of activities (baking, DIY projects, hanging with the niece and nephew, photography), but sometimes, it has to be just me, for me.

One special thing I did was to take a trip to Ann Arbor, MI in December.  I returned to my alma mater, Concordia College, Ann Arbor (now known as Concordia University - Ann Arbor) for a performance of The Boar's Head Festival.  I was a student at C2A2 (as we called it back in the dark ages) when the first performance was executed, and am very pleased that it continues an unmentioned number of years later.  It's an emotional experience that pretty much defies classification into a single pigeon-hole, one of the reasons I like it so much.  As a student, when tasked with photographing the performance, I would become so involved in the performance I would forget to take pictures!  I usually had to attend at least two performances to get representative pictures of the entire performance.


The first thing anyone needs to know about the campus and the university, is that the chapel is the central point of campus.  Most of my years at C2A2 I lived on the East side of campus and derided those Western dwellers; they returned the favor in equal fervor.  The school motto is:  Christ first in everything.  And, true to that motto, the chapel was the one place where we all met and were one.   



I was taken aback by this structure at first.  It's new since my days there, and while it's interesting architecturally, I kind of miss the old square end of the cafeteria/basement.  But, not for long!  The inside was an even nicer improvement over our concrete floor and mailbox wall.  I also preferred the new location for the bookstore - upstairs!  Had to make sure I stopped to buy a CD of a previous Boar's Head performance before I headed back home.



I liked how they wrapped some trees in the strings of lights; I had seen this on a much larger scale at a well known Ann Arbor business headquarters when I worked there, and loved it then.



Inside the chapel at the west entrance, looking toward the organ and choir/orchestra seating.  Yes, hard wood pews, but amazingly not as uncomfortable as you would think!  




This is another shot of the organ, or really the pipes . . . had to take it with the cell phone, so the quality isn't so great.  It's an amazing organ, and to hear organists who could handle the pedals and stops was nothing short of breath taking.  



Looking toward the altar and pulpit.  The stained glass windows are beautiful.  I think I'm partial to them because there's a lot of blue, but the design and significance of the designs is a feast for the soul as well as the eyes.



Some of the decorations for the medieval portion of the performance.


 



My favorite piece of music from the performance.  I get goose bumps and cry every time I hear it.


 

 

The boar's head, pre-processional.  It's a much nicer more realistic looking boar's head than the original!



Yes, I had to go early because I wanted to spend some time strolling around campus and taking pictures.  The shot above is where I lived for most of my years at C2A2 - Stephen Dorm.  I met some of the most wonderful ladies who are to this day wonderful Christian role models.  There was a lot of laughter, some tears, many a prank, but mostly encouragement and God's love shared within those walls.  




The campus was built on land that formerly belonged to the Earhart family, pretty significant folk to Ann Arbor back in the day.  Rumors were that the house was part of the Underground Railroad, but since construction wasn't begun until the late 1920s (if I remember correctly), that wasn't possible.  There are a lot of "secret" passageways that were used by the staff (servants) to move less noticeably through the house during parties.  The view above is actually the back of the house, but the entrance most of us living on campus used.  The house was ahead of its time with a sound system piped into rooms; the music either came from records or a few radio stations.  The master bath still amazes me - it has a round shower and 12 (I think) shower heads!  Indulgent is the word that comes to mind.

While I loved being back on campus and remembering so many fun times with some great friends (and meeting back up with a few of them), what really renewed me was the Boar's Head performance.  The spiritual journey it takes me on every time I participate (yes, the audience has some participation, but it's more than singing along that I'm referring to) in this amazing celebration is humbling, uplifting, and often beyond words.  I have yet to leave a performance without a handful of used tissues and a heart filled with awe for the love God has shared with us.

2 comments:

  1. Such sweet memories you bring back to me! Thank you!!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed a virtual trip to A2 for Boar's Head; glad you came along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete