Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Duck vs. Duct


I love Duck tape.  Or is it duct tape?  Specifically, it's the Color Duck Tape made by Duck Brand that I am so highly addicted to!  I guess that makes it Color Duck Tape Duct Tape.  The photo above is my current supply, although there are a few colors/patterns I do not have.  My birthday is not far off, so maybe that situation will be remedied before summer.

What surprises most people is that I actually decorated in my kitchen with it!  I've moved back into my childhood home, which was built in 1957; we're the 2nd family to live in it, and the house still "boasts" the original metal w/ enamel finish kitchen cabinets, along w/ the wonderful 1950 Formica counter-tops.  The cabinets were impossible to keep clean, and after the few years of family use, rust spots and stains appeared.  I'm not a fan of stark white, but needed to be able to "undo" the decorative process when necessary.  I will say that this attempt w/ duct tape definitely falls into the "Happy Accident" category.  Choosing to use a blue tie-dye pattern could have been a disaster; it must have been a good thing that I wasn't trying to create a pattern or match anything up . . . because it definitely worked out in my favor!


I have the Hello Kitty Duck Tape as part of the collection and have used it for a couple of interesting things. One was to put on the cap of mom's bottle of Tylenol to make it easier for her to grip (seriously, she does love Hello Kitty) and open.  Another was to create two loops to hang from the shower curtain rod to support the shoe caddy that I re-purposed into a towel holder (hanging between the curtain and the liner).

I have a "draft dodger" on the bottom of the front door to the house that kept coming loose where the adhesive had given out.  The door is white and the strip is clear plastic, so I used my paint splatter tape across the width of the door to keep the plastic in place, and the drafts out, plus add a little splash (pun intended) of color.

I love perusing the ideas on http://www.duckbrand.com/, although friends and family might consider it dangerous.  I did see three new prints that I didn't know about before, bringing my Duck Tape Wish List to at least 6.  I also enjoy seeing what participants come up with to enter the Stuck at Prom Scholarship Contest.  I do tend to be a little more practical with my creative use of Duck Tape, so clothing is not a likely future project!

Duck Tape, it's not just for ducts anymore . . . which is good since you never know where I might find a use for it!


No comments:

Post a Comment