Sunday, April 15, 2012

Seeing Red

What a beautiful day!  It was about 75 outside, but quite windy.  I'll take the wind since it will help dry out the rain from yesterday . . . maybe I'll be able to mow tomorrow.

After doing what all running around I needed to do, I decided to just sit outside and read, but have my camera handy since I'd filled the bird feeders and put out peanuts for the Blue Jays.  I'm re-reading a book I'd read back in junior high about the 1913 Dayton Flood, called "Promises in the Attic."  Mom and I are going to a library presentation tomorrow about the flood, so I wanted to see if the book was as good as I had thought way back when.  I think it's held up pretty well.


Yes, I got to take a few bird photos while I was at it.  Those darn cardinals remained camera shy though.  Saw a couple of them, but as soon as I moved to lift the camera, they were gone.  Oh well.  Will just have to keep trying.

Yes, the requisite mourning dove was pigging out on the seed.  They are pretty, and I love the coo-ing sound.  They also seem to be more tolerant of humans, which gives me some good opportunities for photos.


Yup, I manage to feed the cowbirds, too.  So far they aren't hogging the seed, so maybe enough of us have feeders out to manage it all.





And of course, the common house sparrow was out in abundance.  I love these little guys, at least most of the time!  Sometimes they do get pushed out of the feeders, but they have a ton of perseverance.  If they didn't like to perch on these branches that are stacked near the house, the branches would be gone . . . but, it's a nice little spot that's slightly sheltered and off the ground.

I had seen several of the sparrows over at the feeder with the peanuts, but was completely surprised to look up to see a red bellied woodpecker at the peanuts!



The first woodpecker I've seen in the yard this year, and it wasn't where I expected to see him!  I'd like to know why they call this a red bellied woodpecker, though.  He has a red head, not a red belly.  Regardless, he's beautiful, and I'll have to stock up on the peanuts and woodpecker suet to keep him hanging around.

I got to spend a good portion of the day reading outside and watching the backyard birds.  Doesn't get much more relaxing than that for me!  Now if I could just catch a Blue Jay or two . . .

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a delightful day! Enjoy the presentation...It sounds quite interesting. The red-bellied woodpecker does have a red belly. It is usually concealed by gray feathers!
    Jenny
    I'd Rather Be Birding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't get to see the belly, but hadn't seen even a hint of the red there . . . can't miss that bright red head though. The library presentation is mostly photographs of the days of the flood and days following . . . many of them have been included in a special I saw on PBS, which was excellent. One thing I did like about working downtown was that the streets that had been flooded in 1913 had markings on the streetlights to indicate how high the water level reached. It was sobering to say the least.

      Delete