Thursday, April 26, 2012

Light and Shadow

I don't know if anyone noticed, but I took yesterday off.  I noticed, which makes a big difference in my life!  I needed a day where I did my best imitation of a sloth.  I do believe I succeeded nicely.  I was just plain tired from running constantly and not making time for me.  Be oh so very glad I do not photograph myself for the blog (or for any other reason) . . . I didn't even look at myself in the mirror yesterday as I spent most of the day reading & watching movies while still in my jammies.  For some reason, even the cats kept a bit more distance than normal.



But, today is back to normal.  At least what passes for normal for me.  I was looking forward to picking my favorite pre-15 year old niece up from school and getting her to a doctor appointment (we'd meet up with her mom there).  But, my favorite red headed 4 year old nephew messed that up a bit.  He wasn't feeling well, and mom stayed home, so I ended up staying with him while the two ladies went to the doctor's appointment.  Trust me, I'm not complaining!  I love spending ANY time w/ any of my nieces and nephews.  Fear not, I will not bore you with photos of my wonderful nieces and nephew on this blog.


I had planned to go out taking pics after I got my niece to her appointment, but not only did plans change on what I was doing, but they sat in the exam room for over an hour before they saw the doctor!  So, it's back to pulling from "older" photos again.  These are all from last year, taken on the same day, but at different locations. 



Charleston Falls Nature Preserve, on the
way to the falls

The steps leading down to the falls are relatively steep.  I didn't
realize HOW steep until I saw this picture and felt
like I was falling.

One of the pines at Carriage Hill Metro Park
  
  
Love the geometric lines here.
I have to say that the first shots from Charleston Falls remind me of my mood leading up to yesterday!  The shots from Carriage Hill remind me of my mood today.  Can't imagine why darker, shadowy, moody pictures would bring my tired and worn out self to mind.  Or why the light filled pictures remind me of my rested and relaxed mood today.  Interesting how a little rest and a little light can make a lot of difference in all aspects of life.  We tend to be drawn to the light and sunny things in life, but what we do/how we react in those darker, shadowy moments may often show who we really are.



“Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.”  Yousuf Karsh





2 comments:

  1. I like the way the pictures are arranged from darker to lighter! I love the quote...quite true!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the quote a couple of years ago, and keep thinking back on it. Having spent a LOT of time at C2A2 in the darkroom, I appreciate the depth of the truth to that simple statement.

    ReplyDelete