Tuesday, April 10, 2012

It's for the birds!






I love my backyard birds.  I don't often get to grab a shot of the cardinals; they're pretty shy.  But, since I usually have about 6 feeders full of bird seed most of the time, plus suet feeders, I get a LOT of other visitors!  Fortunately, I've only seen a skunk once (and I don't go out after dusk so I don't run that risk again!). 

No, my little backyard sanctuary and retreat is often turned into the squirrelbatic arena!  Several of my neighbors put out peanuts specifically for the squirrels; I put out peanuts to attract Blue Jays.  Still haven't seen the first Blue Jay of the season, but I've seen plenty of squirrels!

They really do annoy me when they keep finding ways to get into the bird feeders (and as I mentioned yesterday, they have figured out how to open and crawl INTO one of the feeders).  But, they are cute, and definitely creative thinkers, so I can't hate on them too much.  They do keep me entertained when I'm relaxing out back, even if it's moments after I chased them from a feeder while swearing at them!

Love to watch them scamper along the top of the fence - how do they do it?
One of these days I'm going to catch a pic of one the shadow of one of them
running across the telephone line; the shadow falls perfectly on the garage
of my backyard neighbor!

This little guy was checking out what was under my little grill;
it was cool, hadn't been used in days.

Loved the way the tail was up and all fluffy!  Looks like a feather.

I guess I AM ready for my close-up . . .
And now, the "fun" day when I discovered the darn squirrels had learned how to bend the metal lid and pry it off of the one feeder . . . dumped the food out, and then went back to the feeder to eat out of it (I guess just 'cause he could, the little show-off!).  That feeder is now history . . .


If you look at the feeder on the left, you'll be able to see
the tail of the squirrel that pried the top off the feeder.
They must work in teams!
Yes, I put the lid back on the feeder, then watched to see
what they might do next . . . 





This little guy was ready to jump out of the tree at me . . . I swear I could hear his Dirty Harry imitation . . . Go ahead, make my day . . .


And I did.  I shot him.  With my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment