Sunday, April 1, 2012

Bright and beautiful day

Yesterday was SUCH a busy day, I'm not sure I had time to think.  So glad it's over, even though it was a HUGE amount of fun.  Got to see friends I hadn't seen in a long time, so no matter what, it was a great day!

So today, I'm taking it easy.  A lot of easy.  As in doing next to nothing!

But, since it's such a beautiful sunny day, I decided to see what was "springing" in the yard.  Just about a 10 minute sojourn around the house to see what's up (pun kind of sort of intended).

I was oh so pleasantly surprised to find one of my lilacs in full bloom!  I love lilacs, and have planted several the last couple of years.  The one in full bloom is one that grew outside my bedroom window all through childhood, and for many years was that sweet message that summer couldn't be far off.




Then, it was over to the re-blooming lilac.  It didn't happen last summer, but maybe this year?  If it gets enough water, it will re-bloom several times throughout the summer.  We planted it before Mom moved into Assisted Living, so it's been growing about 2 1/2 years now.  Hoping this is a great blooming season for it!

The lily of the valley is coming up like crazy as well.  That's another one of my favorites, because it's my birth month flower.  May baby who likes lilacs (typically bloom in early May) and lily of the valley . . . who'da thunk it?

The peonies are also on the way up . . . wish they didn't attract the ants though.  Have to keep them outside so I'm not overrun by the ants inside!  Just got rid of them, so don't want to go through that hassle again.

I planted a very small "twig" last spring, but lost the box it came in, so I don't remember what it is.  Even worse, at one point early on, I mowed it over.  But, it was hardy, and withstood all of the punishment I threw at it.  It's grown about 8 inches, and is sprouting leaves . . . anybody have an idea of what it might be?

And, the ever spreading Trumpet Vine is starting to sprout (I cut this one back pretty severely).


But the surest sign of spring being here is a weed.  The dandelion.  Can't help but find the color cheerful, even if it causes extra work with weeding.  


Relaxing the rest of the day, thinking about all that's growing out in the yard (except the weeds; not thinking about them today), and how soon even more plants will be sprouting and blooming.  Can't wait for the butterfly bushes to start budding and blooming, as well as the daisies, and some lavender.  And a couple more plants that I don't remember what they are (good thing I'm partial to surprises); at least I remember where I planted them.  Life is very good this Palm Sunday 2012.  Beautiful, warm, sunny, and peaceful.  Taking full advantage of it and heading outside to read for a while.

Wishing you all bright and peaceful days!

No comments:

Post a Comment