Thursday, April 19, 2012

Mystery in the Back Yard!

A couple of evenings ago, I was looking out the back door to watch the birds at the feeders.  I looked up into the redbud tree and noticed a shape, but couldn't make out exactly what it was.  Hoping for something unusual, like an owl, I grabbed the camera, and quietly slid out the door.  It wasn't until I got relatively close that I realized it was one of the feral cats in the neighborhood.  Nothing unusual there, except it's the first time I'd seen a cat that high up in the tree.


When I first moved into the house and found out that one of the backyard neighbors feeds the feral cats, I wasn't too thrilled.  I love my cats, but unfortunately, feral cats are a different story.  Plus the food they leave out attracts skunks (we're not that far from several wooded areas).  But, after talking to the family, I found they not only feed the cats, but they also take them to be neutered/spayed and get their initial shots and testing.  I'm OK with that!  As long as the ferals aren't regenerating, we're all better off.


When I approached the tree, the cat had its back to me and its head down, so I had to get pretty close to figure out that it was "just" a cat.  He (I'm assuming) didn't like me as close as I was or didn't want me talking to him, and gingerly made his way down the tree.


I love his markings; the pic above really shows off the "tiger" stripes.



I love little white paws!  I could just as easily say I love little paws, but there's something attractive about a white paw on a tiger cat.


At this point, I couldn't decide if he was shooting me disdainful looks or an "I'm gonna get even with you by chasing a mouse into your house" look.  Not a fan of a mouse in the house, but now know that the indoor boys won't let it live; just hope they continue to leave the dead ones where I can find them . . .

So sadly, the mystery of the unknown shape was resolved without fanfare.  The detection skills were not given an opportunity to be finely honed.  Sigh.  But, I did get to see this beauty AND chase off the black cat that gets my boys all riled up.  I don't know why, but they only react strongly to the black feral and the long haired gray feral cats.  Are cats capable of prejudice?  I see more observation of my boys observing other cats in all of our futures . . . crazy cat hypothesis may follow.


2 comments:

  1. Funny! I love cats, but they make me a little nervous when they are around birds! I hope next time it is an owl.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like them around the birds either. I've found too much evidence of the cats pouncing on the feeding birds, and try to chase them off (the cats, not the birds). I'd love to see an owl, but think I'm going to have to go to the local sanctuary to do that. There's a local preserve I've gone to that has owls and they've talked about the baby owls, but I have never seen them. Is there a time of day that's better than others?

    ReplyDelete