Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ducks and Serendipity . . .


I was going through some of my older pics today, and ran across some that were taken as a result of serendipity.  Yup, using that word again!  LOVE it.  The following nature shots were all taken at a park where my niece had a soccer tournament (in Middletown, OH).  I hadn't even seen this area the first two or three times because it was lower than the parking lot.  We all ate lunch up by the parking lot, then I wandered down to see what all else was in this park (it was a nice alternative to sweaty teenage girls who had a BAD case of the giggles).


I liked the way this tree branch had rotted out - I couldn't quite get the right angle to see from the main opening through the smaller opening on the right out onto the water . . . believe me, I tried!


I was absolutely thrilled when I saw how nicely the reflection turned out.  I'd tried it a couple of times before this shot, and none of them were decent.


I like watching the ducks, and I liked catching the ripples they created.




I couldn't decide if the one duck was being picked upon or not.  I finally decided (for my own peace of mind) that they were involved in some sort of duck synchronized swimming performance.


As  you can see, the "beach" area was not quite litter free, but it did provide nice contrast for me to see this beauty.


This duck was just kind of scary; I loved the colors, but he was kind of mean to the other ducks.  I kept a very wide path between us!


This one cracked me up.  It seems to be trying to claim to be shy . . .


I think the only way I would have liked this photo better was if I'd caught it from the front, not a profile view.  I wasn't sure as I was clicking away what I would end up with.  I was VERY happy.

Nobody in the family was surprised when I posted the soccer photos on the team photo site and these (and several more) photos of the flora and fauna were included.  The girls didn't know I was going to include them and thought I was nuts.  They may be right, I may be crazy . . . but I'm entertaining, and they loved the soccer photos, so they put up with me.

It's kind of funny that so many of the photos I've taken and loved the most are those that were not planned.  Not just these, but most of the nature shots are ones I've just happened upon.  There are a few where I waited and waited and waited for a bird to show up, but those are very atypical.  Even my favorite pictures of people are the candid pictures - not the least bit posed.  I prefer everything be open and honest, without artifice.  Who needs artificial when the natural is beautiful in its own right?


No comments:

Post a Comment