Thursday, April 12, 2012

Captured in Time

Way back twenty-some days ago when I started blogging, I featured a picture taken when friends were having a pole barn raising for their alpaca farm.  I'd forgotten how many pictures I took to chronicle the event for them (I ended up keeping about 400 of the shots I took). 

It was a fun day, and a wonderful opportunity for me to do a little experimenting.  I'm in no way, shape, or form a morning person, but since they were beginning the day early to get as much work in as possible, I grumbled my way to their house until I saw what I've come to think of as the canvas before me.  I was quickly excited by all of the possibilities for many different kinds of pictures (artistic, geometric, action, setting, etc.).  It lasted pretty much all day.

The fog was pretty heavy when I arrived . . . it took several
hours to clear up and start warming up.
I liked the lines created by the braces, as well as the pointy pieces
(no, I do not think that is the technical term!).

Posts in place in their holes, getting things ready to start the real work.

Sharp.  Amazing tool.  I best keep my distance.

This is to hopefully prevent one of my pet peeves.  Concrete  was
used in the post holes, NOT cement.  Cement is an ingredient
in concrete.   That's a lot of concrete, too.

I liked the almost silhouette look.
Then, I turned around for some reason,
and saw this.  I must have taken about
10 shots, but this is the best.  I loved the way
the beams of light broke through the fog
and trees. 





It's kind of silly how excited I was to capture the "action" of the
wood falling here.  I'm still very glad I caught it!
There were plenty of angles and geometric shapes to catch.

But I couldn't forget the setting around us!
Every time I found myself starting to think I was getting the "same old pictures," I would turn slightly or catch a movement, and I'd notice a more intriguing angle, or a beam of light that I'd swear wasn't there before.  Or, I'd yawn (I told you, I'm not a morning person!), and then I'd notice more of the nature around the work being done . . . a few minutes photographing it, and my eyes were ready to "see more creatively."

This was a long day for everyone, but it was also fun, and it helped to stretch my creativity.  There were several "God moments" throughout the day that had me unable to do more than soak in the wonder of His creation (man, nature, animals).  It was a challenge to chronicle the day in a way that showed the totality of the experience.  Not only was this the physical construction of a pole barn, but it was also the expression of friendship and love by all who participated.

A photograph captures a moment in time.  I go for the pictures that capture the mood of that moment in time as well.  Sometimes that happens in a single picture; those are the pictures I cherish.  That's why the following picture is my favorite shot of the entire day (and why I'm sharing it again).



No comments:

Post a Comment