Sunday, April 8, 2012

Demolition!!


About a month and a half ago, I drove by one of my former elementary schools and saw that it had mostly been demolished.  As with many schools in Ohio, older schools are being replaced with brand new buildings, then the older ones demolished.   This particular picture has been on my mind this weekend.

It's been a rough weekend.  Nothing BAD happened, but I've been battling negativity, and found myself losing too often.  But now, the poor pitiful me attitude needs to end.  That's where this wall comes in.  There's something about how this small piece of the building withstood the demolition ball that spoke to me at the end of February, and speaks to me still.  Yeah, it got knocked around and took some close blows, but at the end of the day, it was still standing.  That's the important thing.


This picture of the chair leaning against the tree just made me chuckle.  Someone had to place the chair there, and juxtaposed against the chaos of the demolition, it definitely caught my eye.


Inquiring minds want to know:  if you're not supposed to pull or push the container, just HOW did it get there?


This is the other elementary school that backed up to the demolished one.  Considering the two schools were consolidated into a single building, this view seemed to present a foreshadowing of its own demolition.


This view had a nice symmetry (which I'm not usually a huge fan of) with the equipment and how the debris was stacked, as well as the nice framing provided by the trees.  That's the new school in the background off to the right.

As sad as it was to see the old schools go, mostly for the memories of some very fun and silly elementary school shenanigans, it did bring to mind a couple of things.  1)  It really is just a building; my memories of time there with some wonderful teachers and great friends can't be taken away from me.  2)  There are a lot of things that are beyond my control; let go of it.  3)  Probably most importantly, not so good things happen to people all over the world, many of which are far worse than the cause of my little pity party; it's time to get the big girl panties out of a bunch and move on.

The universe has reverted to it's usual planetary rotation; I am no longer the center of it.

2 comments:

  1. My elementary school was closed years ago, too. It's kind of sad, but it reminded me that in this world of constant change and what we people think of as improvement the only thing that doesn't change or need improvement is the love of our Lord! Thanks be to God who gives us the victory over pity parties!
    Jenny
    I'd Rather Be Birding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, sister! His immeasurable love is the answer to any question or problem.

      Delete