Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Aminals

If you haven't already figured it out, I'll let you in on one of the world's worst kept secrets about me.  I love animals.  I love being around them and interacting with them, as well as photographing them.  They do have their own little personality quirks, just as humans do (or at least they do when I humanize their actions).


There's an animal sanctuary about 45 minutes from me that has some amazing animals.  I've only been out there once (it was a free admission afternoon), but I loved every minute I was there.  This isn't like the place in Ohio that gained so much notoriety when the owner turned the animals loose then committed suicide - they go through all of the legal steps to maintain standing to protect the animals they house; these are wild animals that were sometimes taken in as pets, then released when they were no longer cute and cuddly. (I can't imagine doing either of those things).  I need to go back again as soon as we have some slightly warmer and less windy days!


This beautiful animal was one of the first I saw.  I hate the wires in most of the pics, but appreciated being able to see these animals.  While I wish they were all in their native habitats (in the wild), they are here because otherwise they would have been euthanized.


Black panther.  I need to go back because I want to try to get an awesome pic that shows his coat to advantage.  I just could NOT get close to an accurate pic of how gorgeous he was.


I walked by this crocodile at least 3 times before I saw him!  He was so still in the water it's understandable how someone might mistake him for a log; I certainly did!


I stood and watched this guy for the longest time.  He's so majestic and beautiful that I was mesmerized.


This is a Canadian lynx, and he wasn't cooperating with my attempts to photograph him.  It was a very warm day, and he was comfy in his spot.  I wanted to get a good shot of his ear with the tuft of fur at the top.  That's another reason to have to go back!


I have a stuffed leopard that was given to me when I was very young; it's not in great shape, but that leopard meant a LOT to me.  I don't remember why, but after receiving it, leopards became my favorite big cat.  When given an opportunity, I donate to protect species like the snow leopard and the Amur leopard.


Not quite sure what this insect is; could be a dragonfly, or just something that looks like one!  I liked catching it there on the end of the branch hanging over the water where ducks were diving.


This donkey was so cute.  He kept poking his head out as if he was shy and checking to see if it was safe to come out.


I couldn't catch a picture of the real Maggie, but this poster outside her cage shows what Heaven's Corner did for her.


This little guy with his mask reminded me of my cat Bandit.  They're both little troublemakers, but cute and lovable.


This red fox was sleeping in a sling just outside of the gift shop . . . lots of people going by who didn't see him, and there he was snoozing away.


My college friend Jenny (you can all blame her for getting me to blog; Owl Things First) will like this photo.  I wish I could say I took it for her, but at the time I didn't know she was crazy about owls, and we had lost touch.  Sorry the wires from the cage are obscuring the magnificence of the owl.

As I look back at these pictures, one thing I noticed got me thinking about other pictures I've taken, especially of animals.  I must have an obsession about the texture of an animal's fur or feathers.  I'm almost itching to go back and get a closer shot of this owl (those feathers are calling out to me for closer inspection!).  I tend to zoom in as close as possible, whether I'm hoping for an oddball shot or one that might give a clue as to what the fur or feathers might feel like I'm not sure.  Knowing me, it could be a bit of both.  Maybe because they've touched my heart with their beauty, I want to be able to share some of the often overlooked beauty they possess.

4 comments:

  1. I love all of these pictures! I'd love to go there sometime. You know I'm crazy about birds, but other animals fascinate me, too!
    I'm glad we are back in touch!!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad we're back in touch too! Amazing how easy it is to lose touch, and so awesome to reconnect. If you're ever in SW Ohio, near Dayton, we'll definitely go to Heaven's Corner. I need to go back soon. I also need to get a few other places, and scope out some new places; it's not that there's nowhere to go for great photography opportunities; it's that there are so many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy I love your photos, I would love to go with you next time you go to Heaven's Corner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ronda, I will DEFINITELY let you know when I'm thinking about going again. Hopefully I won't have another gas cap issue!!

    ReplyDelete